Menu

Social Studies anyone?

Maurrean

According to the World Book website these are the things a 3rd grader should learn in social studies. But i don't see much of anything for curriculum online. What are you using?

table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: windowtext; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Verdana; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }ruby { }rt { color: windowtext; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Verdana; display: none; } * Holidays and folk customs * Native Americans * Explorers and pioneers * Appreciation of different cultures, races, religions * History and development of local community * Community helpers * Consumers and producers * Sources of food and clothing * Shelters of animals and people * History and development of transportation * History and development of communication * Citizenship and social responsibility * Basic human needs and wants * Local geography and topography * U. S. geography and regions * The continents * Flat maps and globes

We do history here, too. We will finish SOTW 2 in January and then finish out the school year with Trail Guide to World Geography. Between those two things, I will have hit just about everything on your list. What hasn't been hit can easily be taught through some simple lessons that can be created on your own.

jeeze, am I cranky or what? :lol:

I need to drink my coffee faster in the morning. I guess it takes the edge off. Maybe cranky is my natural state?

Anyway, I have never really seen social studies as a homeschool curriculum. Mostly, I have only seen history.

I am sure some homeschoolers do teach social studies.

I am being truthful when I say that I don't see the point of social studies. Even when I was a kid in public school I didn't see the reason for the subject. I kept thinking that we should be learning history. it made me suspect my teachers didn't know any history. We finally got history in high school.

My state, NY, has a reporting requirement and it does mention social studies. I just report history in it's place and they accept it.

* Holidays and folk customs

This can be done informally. You must celebrate some holidays. Talk about your family traditions and customs. Read books about holidays. If you want a historical tie-in, read about holidays as they were celebrated (or not) during the period of history you are covering.

* Native Americans

* Explorers and pioneers

* Appreciation of different cultures, races, religions

* Sources of food and clothing

* Consumers and producers

* History and development of transportation

* History and development of communication

* Basic human needs and wants

* Shelters of people

* Basic human needs and wants

Cover these as they come up in your history rotation.

* Shelters of animals - science

* History and development of local community

* Local geography and topography

* Community helpers

Informally or do a unit study on your local area

* Citizenship and social responsibility - Could be incorporated into history, done informally (Scouts or 4H?), or rolled into character.

* Local geography and topography

* U. S. geography and regions

* The continents

* Flat maps and globes

Include in history as it comes up or do one of the many map skills workbooks