Menu

UPUSH using TC Tapes + . . . Ideas please.

So, I'd like to design an APUSH course for my dd for next year (9th grade). I went ahead and got the Teaching Co US History DVDs last week during their crazy sale, thinking I'd use them alongside other stuff. . .

This will be our first AP endeavor, and my first year with a high schooler. . . so I'm a bit intimidated. I vascillate between wanting to:

1) go wild, read whole living books, write interesting essays, good literature, watch the DVDs, go on field trips. . . then read through a good AP Prep book & let the cards fall where they may.

or

2) be super structured and traditional, using Pageant or similar, following some combo of formal syllabi using mostly traditional resources

My type A anal self votes for #2. My anti-establishment/free-thinker self votes for #1 (especially since this is our first throw. . . why not try it? If it bombs on the practice AP tests, we can just not take the official AP test at all. . . who cares?)

I'm not intimidated by the content or the teaching. . . just the official-ness of it all. :)

What say you?

What are your fave APUSH resources? Fave syllabus?

TIA

Does your dd have a preference, and does she thrive under either style?

I don't know. I haven't asked her. Bad me. :(

I have given her small choices here or there. . . but not biggies like this yet.

She prefers MCT to R&S English. But, she is thriving with Galore Park Science (very text booky). . . I think she prefers the concept of loosey-goosey creative/free form, but she hasn't shown herself to CHOOSE challenging things & I fear that the freedom would result in little getting done. . . But, then I haven't let her try. Maybe I should talk to her about it. . . Do you think they are both viable options?

I do think they are both very viable options, but you would need to push her in the loosey-goosey path if she didn't produce enough. Less structured classes can and do work for many students who have a strong interest and the drive to do more than the minimum. I personally think, they also need to be organized and in possession of good study and work habits.

Now...I hope others will chime in as my experience is limited to my two. And my oldest thrives with structure and a schedule, while my youngest, loves creating his own studies.

I don't know. I haven't asked her. Bad me. :(

I have given her small choices here or there. . . but not biggies like this yet.

She prefers MCT to R&S English. But, she is thriving with Galore Park Science (very text booky). . . I think she prefers the concept of loosey-goosey creative/free form, but she hasn't shown herself to CHOOSE challenging things & I fear that the freedom would result in little getting done. . . But, then I haven't let her try. Maybe I should talk to her about it. . . Do you think they are both viable options?