Menu

question for marathon runners

i have run half marathons & love it. i plan to run my first full marathon in november of 2011. i'm going to be realistic and aim for a goal of 5 hours...but if i do better, great!

my question is...if i run with a pace team, is there a schedule i can follow for training for a 5 hour finish?? i've tried to google one and can't find one? when i run half marathons, it seems like the pace teams follow a galloway plan (as they walk some). i plan to run with a pace team for the next few half marathons before my big race in november. so ideally, i'd like to find a galloway pace plan, but for a full marathon.

does something like this exist??

i hope i'm explaining myself well & that this makes sense.:)

amy

OK, I think I know what you are asking (but I'm already on the record for having had a martini tonight, so I may not be clear in understanding your question ;) ).

Have you looked at McMillan's site? It'll give you paces based off of your times, that is, what you've already proven you can do. So, 5 hrs is a nice round number, but you kind of pulled it out of the sky! McMillan will give you some idea of whether your goal is too aggressive or not enough! :) Or dead on! For the record, McMillan said I could run a marathon in 4 hours and a few seconds, and he was off by under 30 seconds! It was also a Boston Qualifier for me. :001_wub:

Anyway, I think he gives folks some general training guidelines out there on his site as well. Good luck!

thank you very much for replying. that website is good but not exactly what i need. i was hoping to find a training program (like jeff galloway's) that specifically included at-home training with the intent of using a pace team.

here's the pace band i'll be using when i run it...

http://www.marathonguide.com/images/pacebands/PaceBand_5h00m_26.2_Miles.pdf

i just was hoping i could find something to help me train with this specific goal in mind. i imagine it exist, as pace team leaders must train for their specific time, right? :confused:...i just can't find the answer for whatever reason when i search. plus, i'm sure my wording is incredibly poor.

anyway...i'm sure i'll figure something out.

thanks again!!!:)

Oh...and huge KUDOS for qualifying for the boston marathon. that is my dream... well done!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously, good for you!!!!!

Edited by mytwomonkeys

Good luck!!!!! Nono is my hero too!! She's amazing.

I am currently using the Jeff Galloway program for my first marathon. I was really hoping for a good marathon time too. My previous half marathon times all showed that I should be able to finish in 4:30. And, then, I injured myself. Ugh. I'm determined to finish, but I'll be walking a lot more than I want to!!!!

Anyway, I guess I'm saying, train and see how it goes. Be careful in your training. Take your time increasing your mileage. And, good luck!!!!!!

Great work!! I am not a runner, but my dh is in the car and he says yes. He suggests checking the Runner's World site or...he can't remember the others right now. ;)

Yes, Runner's World has an applet that will give you a training program based upon how many miles you do now, and when you want to start training. It's a pretty cool! Pair that with the training times in the McMillan calculator to get where you want to go. If you don't want to use your half marathon times, but just to shoot for 5 hrs., plug in 5 hrs as a marathon time and get your training paces from the site to use with the Runner's World training. :D

Thanks for the kudos...it sure helped to gain extra time as I switched agegroups. ;)

Good luck!!!!! Nono is my hero too!! She's amazing.

Aw, thanks! Amazing is a word I never think of as an adjective for myself. Nuts. Sure. Hardheaded. Yep. Amazing? Not yet...maybe one day!!!!

You will do great with your marathon! Just keep plugging away!