Menu

house building woes

Well, the builder made a huge mistake during framing of the house. . . .

Granted we're putting in the optional, and rarely used option I might add, 5th bedroom. So instead of having a 2-story ceiling in the living room it's supposed to be covered with the "floor" of the room above. The windows for the 2-story piece are framed for the 2-story cathedral ceiling floor plan.

I can't believe it.

We called the builder last night to let them know they'd made the mistake. They called this morning before 7 a.m. -- yup, they'd made a mistake and it's going to take 10 (ten) business days for the new framing to be reordered unless of course we're ok with them fixing this by building their own frame. Of course this option will make the room 2 inches shorter on that wall. . . .

pictures at my blog if you're interested.

When we built our house, the original plan called for a gas fireplace in a corner of the living room where there was a wall that divided the living room/family room/kitchen. As an option, we requested to not have that dividing wall in order to make a great room. They framed the walls correctly, but when they plumbed the gas line, there was a pipe coming up in the middle of the living room floor! I don't even know what they were thinking. It took them several weeks to remove that pipe. I kept nagging our builder and asking when it would be gone.

I hope it all goes well for you. We enjoyed building our home. I would certainly do it again if I had the chance.