Menu

History... Biblioplan & SCM guides comparison?

RobinM

For the early elementary years I am planning to focus on the 3 R's but I'd like to add something light for history (and science). My plan is to just check out living books from the library but I'd love to have a guide to help with book recommendations by time period...

Also, I would like for the guide to include Bible history as it happens chronologically... I have looked at the SCM website and it sounds like the history guides might work. Just today I looked at Biblioplan and I'm wondering if they are really similar? For those who have experience with both, which one sounds like it would fit for us? Or are there others I haven't thought of?

The SCM takes a longer time to cover the Bible time period (3 years?). Biblioplan does it in one year. That's the main reason I went with Biblioplan. We start in January, but I have everything here and ready to go. I've looked up all the books at my libraries to see which ones I can check out, and I've put lesson plans into HST+ (I'm an organizing geek :lol:). The Bible is used a *lot*, which I love. I think we will enjoy this study. It schedules SOTW almost every week, and adds in lots of Bible alongside it.

I really liked the looks of SCM too. I just didn't think I wanted to spend 3 years on ancients. My son has had a lot of Bible education, so knows a lot of the Biblical history (and continues to learn it year round), and just needs the secular history added in, plus I'd like to get to the US and more modern times eventually. :)

don't want to hijack, but we used BP for Ancients. I probably wouldn't want to have it in three guides either - although, I just read on their message boards that some have used those for Bible time and then used the other ones for History time separate. We used just MOH for MA and now I'm not sure what to do from here. Biggest problem is that MOH isn't done and it doesn't have much American and I have high school credits to worry about!!?

Just seems to be no "perfect" history program!! :)

I haven't used it yet, but I have Biblioplan Ancients here to do next year with my ds.

Here are the units you will study in year 1:

Creation (3 weeks)

Egypt to Judges (6 weeks)

Nation of Israel (7 weeks)

Ancient Greece (7 weeks)

Ancient Rome (10 weeks)

Ancient East (3 weeks)

The first 3 units appear to be chronological. It is a study through the happenings of the Old Testament ending with the return from captivity.

The Greece and Rome units are chronological for each civilization, so you will back up some in history when you begin it. Jesus and the New Testament are included in the Ancient Rome study but only during weeks 30 and 31.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

don't want to hijack, but we used BP for Ancients. I probably wouldn't want to have it in three guides either - although, I just read on their message boards that some have used those for Bible time and then used the other ones for History time separate. We used just MOH for MA and now I'm not sure what to do from here. Biggest problem is that MOH isn't done and it doesn't have much American and I have high school credits to worry about!!?

Just seems to be no "perfect" history program!! :)

Not trying to hijack either, but have you looked at MFW high school? I have a dd going into 9th next year, and it is definitely the front runner right now. It covers World history in 2 years, then American in 2 with government, economics, and such. I plan to go to the convention in Greenville in March to look at it and make the final decision.

I have and it's still in the back of my mind. However, we did Ancients last year, MA this year and then my oldest would do ancients again. I know it would be different, but...??? It would split us up - although I have thought about having him listen in with a main spine with my youngest. Plus, it's expensive - but everything is, I guess!! :)