Menu

GED? Help

First off let me say that I am pretty clueless about how to do this. I don't even know if this is the right place to post this question, but here it goes. I need to help my DH study for his GED. I know there are books to help you, I have a couple. The problem is that I have to start at almost the beginning. I don't mean that he is illiterate, he likes to read, but his education was minimal. Long story short: his father left, his mother was barely there, and the schools just passed him along. It has taken years for him to get to where he would agree to do this, and he'll only do it if I teach him.:eek: My problem is that I need to find things to use without humiliating him. I think once we get started he'll realize he knows more than he thinks.

My first priority is spelling, grammar, and math. I have Spelling Power but thats about it. For math we have to start with multiplication and I am going to use flash cards. But I don't know where to go from there. I was thinking LOF and someone suggested Keys. Would these be good choices for an adult? I don't want anything that has grade levels. For grammar I really don't know what to use. I was never good at grammar so I will be reviewing with him. In the MFW catalog I saw a book that I thought might work. It is called The All-In-One English Series Master Book. Has anyone used this or have any other suggestion?

I am kind of freakin out because I don't know if I can do this, but I have to. I really don't want to humiliate him and make him feel stupid. Sorry if this was too long and rambling. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Adults can learn at a much faster pace than children...

When I work with math-illiterate adults they can usually add and subtract just fine... so typically I begin with multiplication (without calculators!). The fastest method I've found is skip counting. I write the multiples out across one line of notebook paper-- and have the student copy the line over and over until the page is full-- by then they usually remember them (it does help if they say it out loud at the same time)-- go from the 2's through the 9's (most already know 2's, 5's and 10's) I usually allow 1 week for this. Flash cards are fine-- but he may be more comfortable with a computer version of flash cards-- there are some out there (free) that are not 'kid fancy'.

After skip counting I move into multi-digit multiplication-- spend 1-2 weeks on this-- this reinforces place value too (as well as basic multiplication facts).

Once multiplication is done I move on to division (introducing fractions at the same time--fractions ARE division problems!). The first week is basic division (24/8) the second week I introduce long division with divisors having 1, 2 and 3 digits)... I have students check their work using multiplication-- this reinforces addition, subtraction, multiplication and division!!

When they get to this point I start them in Lial's Basic College Math. This text was designed for adult remediation-- it will not look like a 'kid's text' and the word problems are more relevant too. Have him work the odds- leaving the evens for tutorial/extra practice when needed.

Most adults (of average intelligence) can go from addition/subtraction only through Algebra 1 in one year working as little as 30 minutes each day...

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I didn't really know how to go about helping him with math.

After skip counting I move into multi-digit multiplication-- spend 1-2 weeks on this-- this reinforces place value too (as well as basic multiplication facts).

Once multiplication is done I move on to division (introducing fractions at the same time--fractions ARE division problems!). The first week is basic division (24/8) the second week I introduce long division with divisors having 1, 2 and 3 digits)... I have students check their work using multiplication-- this reinforces addition, subtraction, multiplication and division!!

What would you suggest using for fractions? I am a little fuzzy on fraction rules. It's been awhile.:001_smile:

I'm also remediating an adult relative, and I like the Number Power books for math. They're specifically designed for adult learners; the series is subtitled "A Real-World Approach to Math," and the focus is very practical, rather than heavily theoretical. The covers are "adult" looking and the numbers refer to the order in which the books should be covered, not grade levels. The explanations are very simple and straightforward, the page design is B&W, and the word problems focus on the kinds of things adults would deal with in daily life.

For grammar, I would probably go with Easy Grammar Plus. It's the lowest level of Easy Grammar without a grade level on it. It's very straightforward, easy to use, and doesn't look childish at all.

Jackie

Again, your DH is just not informed-- he should pick it up quickly...

Just get him into the swing of things with basic multiplication and long division-- then he can pick up the rest (percents, decimals, fractions...) in BCM.

I would just INTRODUCE the fraction format when division is introduced--- chances are he already knows the basics of fractions! The 'fraction' bar is the TRUE division sign! (just as parenthesis is the 'true' multiplication sign).

True= universal