Menu

Learning to play the piano: self help

My eldest son (22) wanted one of those keyboards that are piano like in sound and feel for Christmas and yesterday I found one for a steal at a local music store. Now I would like to find him some materials such as books, CDs or software to help him learn. He taught himself how to play the guitar so I have no doubt he can do the same with the piano but I would like to help him with some self help materials. Any suggestions?

Edited by slr1765

I taught myself to play piano at around 15 after several years of playing the cello. I really like the Older Beginner series from Bastien. It moved a little faster (which he will appreciate since he already has musical background) and is written on a more adult level. Here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/Older-Beginner-Piano-Course-Level/dp/0849750296

I taught myself to play piano at around 15 after several years of playing the cello. I really like the Older Beginner series from Bastien. It moved a little faster (which he will appreciate since he already has musical background) and is written on a more adult level. Here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/Older-Beginner-Piano-Course-Level/dp/0849750296

Thank you, that looks perfect! I'm not sure I can get one from Amazon before Christmas so I think I'm going to head to the used book store to search for a copy there. Yay!

ETA: I just got back from the used book store and they did have this book and it still looks new. So for $4 I am a happy camper especially after getting a peek at the insides. You're right, this book looks perfect for him to teach himself. Thank you again!

Edited by slr1765