Menu

Selling antiques

I have a number of antiques I want to sell, including big stuff like a dining room set (we inherited it and it's just not "us" -- too fancy!). I also have smaller stuff like an antique desk, some bowls, silver, etc. How do you go about doing this? I am thinking an antiques dealer, but I don't know where to start.

An antique dealer is in it to make money. Many will make at least 100% so if you want to maximize return it may do well to try elsewhere first. Online adds can work. Smaller items can be sold on eBay.

For silver calculate the melt weight (sterling is 92.5% pure) and ounces are troy vs avoirdupois so be aware of that. With all this done you should have the melt value and that is a good starting point for old silver.

Thanks. By online, do you mean Craigslist for the larger things? Have never sold on ebay before but based on another thread, it seems like it charges high fees...

Look at 15% plus/minus for ebay fees but one has a huge pool of potential buyers.

Online would be Craigs List but there are also antique forums online that may be able to help. I have also sold things through the classifieds and even goine to an antique show with some nice photographs and good measurements and offering to dealers there. When there are 100 dealers the competition between them is higher and that works in your favor. There are also auctions but the fees there can be very high and you may not do well.

Good luck

Craigs List.

If you don't know how much something is worth, you might want to try the website http://www.whatsitworthtoyou.com/

I had something appraised through them and found it to be a good experience. I posted about it here.

Wow, that is so cool! (That your bench was worth so much.) Did you end up selling it or keeping it?

Look at 15% plus/minus for ebay fees but one has a huge pool of potential buyers.

Online would be Craigs List but there are also antique forums online that may be able to help. I have also sold things through the classifieds and even goine to an antique show with some nice photographs and good measurements and offering to dealers there. When there are 100 dealers the competition between them is higher and that works in your favor. There are also auctions but the fees there can be very high and you may not do well.

Good luck

Thanks for the ideas. I need to keep this simple -- we are moving soon and there is a lot to do. I guess I will stick with Craigslist for now and perhaps look for some antique forums for more help... going to auctions and shows isn't going to happen, I don't think... wish I had thought about this sooner.