Menu

What's the 3rd Edition recomendation for Continuous-stroke writing books?

I only have the 2nd edition of WTM and my 4 year old is tying to write letters on his own. I looked up the Zaner-Bloser website that is recommended for the continuous-stroke approach, but it's been "updated" and the samples I saw did not look like what was described. Am I wrong, is this the one I need to get, or is there a new 3rd edition recommendation?

Well, thankfully Chapter 4 is one of the sample chapters on the main website and I was able to look there. I am going to have to assume that chapter was from the 3rd edition, and therefore up to date.

I am very discouraged that this topic had 35 views, but no responses. This was my first time on here, and I signed up specifically to get an answer to this question. I'm not sure I will post on here again, if this is what I have to expect.

Most people probably don't have their WTM books sitting right next to them while browsing the forums, but I happen to, so... It recommends the ZB series dated 2008 and titled Handwriting with Continuous-Stroke Alphabet Series.

Now whether that's still available, I don't know. I'm using HWT myself.

In the future, don't take it personally if people don't answer right away. 35 views and no responses just means that those people probably didn't know the answer to your question. Some may not even have the WTM book or may not have the 3rd edition. Many are probably like myself and not using ZB, and thus are not able to help you find the right thing to order.

If your post doesn't get an answer before it falls off the first page, it's fine to do a friendly "bump". This is a really busy forum!

Well, thankfully Chapter 4 is one of the sample chapters on the main website and I was able to look there. I am going to have to assume that chapter was from the 3rd edition, and therefore up to date.

I am very discouraged that this topic had 35 views, but no responses. This was my first time on here, and I signed up specifically to get an answer to this question. I'm not sure I will post on here again, if this is what I have to expect.

Goodness, didn't get exactly what you wanted exactly when you wanted it? Well, free advice is worth what you pay for it!:D

I don't HAVE the third edition. Many of us are limping along on one and two, and were just having a look-in to see exactly what you wanted, and then, if anyone had the answer.

I am just fine with ZB as it is. It looks a lot like what I learned as a kid, so I can model it for kiddo. The workbook pages are just long enough for a simple warm-up.

But, if you don't like the look of the new one, no child will sink or swim on handwriting. IMO, the LEAST important bit of curriculum advice in the WTM.

ZB may look like ball and stick but it is done in a continuous stroke. They don't teach to write a lower case "b" by drawing a line, picking up your pencil, and putting it back down again to draw a circle. The child is taught to write it by not lifting his pencil at all.

You may have gotten continuous stroke confused with italics and that's why it didn't look as you thought it would?

I think the majority here do not use ZB and that coupled with the fast pace of the board is why you didn't have a response.

Thank you for those who replied. I apologize if my impatience led me to offend, but I am panicking a bit. I was not prepared to begin teaching my just turned 4 year old how to write this early. He has this habit of figuring out stuff on his own before I'm prepared, and I get worried that if I don't teach him how to do it right, right away, that he will learn incorrectly, and be unable to learn properly. My husband's handwriting instruction was very bad, and his attempt to correct it at an older age failed, and I fear that happening with our son.

Thank you for the information on the Zaner-Bloser curriculum. I am going to give it a try.

Thank you for those who replied. I apologize if my impatience led me to offend, but I am panicking a bit. I was not prepared to begin teaching my just turned 4 year old how to write this early. He has this habit of figuring out stuff on his own before I'm prepared, and I get worried that if I don't teach him how to do it right, right away, that he will learn incorrectly, and be unable to learn properly. My husband's handwriting instruction was very bad, and his attempt to correct it at an older age failed, and I fear that happening with our son.

Don't freak out about a 4 year old. My 6.5 year old was taught the right way, but somehow got in a habit (because at school the teacher couldn't watch him every second) of writing his letters the wrong way. I'm fixing it now with HWT, and it's going very well. He's been writing for 2 years, and I'm seeing good progress after just a couple weeks of instruction, and he's still at school writing unsupervised. I'm sure it will get a LOT better when he's writing in front of me. I can watch him like a hawk during his handwriting lessons and copywork.

I also have a just-turned-4 year old who is itching to write. I will write a word on the white board, and he says he wants to write it too. I didn't want to teach him to write yet! So I'm just helping him do things the right direction and such. We'll probably start HWT officially this summer, if not sooner. I at least corrected his pencil grip 4-5 months ago, so that part is wonderful! Big brother is still fixing his. :tongue_smilie: And my 18 month old miraculously has a perfect pencil grip already. :001_huh: I guess it gets better with each child?

Anyway, stick around the forums and you'll learn lots. :)