Menu

Could CLE Bible serve as a Reading Program??

susankenny

Okay. If I wanted a reading program (nothing too intense), couldn't the CLE Bible lessons serves as a reading program too?? I know the actual CLE Reading program is much more intense obviously, but I'm not looking for something uber thorough here. I was thinking CLE Bible might be enough. My daughter would still have additional reading of course in other subjects & leisure books.

I'm just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone (Bible & Reading).

Thoughts?

Susan

Okay. If I wanted a reading program (nothing too intense), couldn't the CLE Bible lessons serves as a reading program too?? I know the actual CLE Reading program is much more intense obviously, but I'm not looking for something uber thorough here. I was thinking CLE Bible might be enough. My daughter would still have additional reading of course in other subjects & leisure books.

I'm just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone (Bible & Reading).

Thoughts?

Susan

I have CLE Bible for 7th grade so maybe I could help to answer your question, but could you define what a reading program means to you and what it would entail? That would help me answer your question. Thanks. :)

Well, we currently don't have any reading comprehension at all, aside from discussion. In planning next year, I was thinking of adding in Bible (my daughter is currently 9 and will begin 4th grade btw), and I've read several threads lately about the need for a reading program. I was wondering if CLE Bible would be sufficient, as it seems to include vocabulary, comprehension, etc. I've looked at the actual CLE Reading program & recognize it involve much more - but I still feel like CLE Bible might be sufficient.

Does this make any sense? It's hard to explain because I honestly just am thinking aloud here. I don't have specific expectations involved. Just looking to "up the ante" next year...so to speak, lol.

Susan

Edited by susankenny

Well, we currently don't have any reading comprehension at all, aside from discussion. In planning next year, I was thinking of adding in Bible (my daughter will begin 4th grade btw), and I've read several threads lately about the need for a reading program. I was wondering if CLE Bible would be sufficient for a reading program, as it includes vocabulary, comprehension, etc. I've looked at the actual CLE Reading program & recognize it involve much more - but I still feel like CLE Bible might be sufficient.

Does this make any sense? It's hard to explain because I honestly just am thinking aloud here. I don't have specific expectations involved. Just looking to "up the ante" next year...so to speak, lol.

Susan

Oh yes I understand now. I think it probably could. I use them with my daughter as devotions in the morning before school starts. Each unit has a different topic that it covers and you usually look up Bible verses too that pertain to that day's lesson. You read a section which is usually a few pages and then answer questions. It usually has true or false or multiple choice answers. Then there is a big test that covers the whole unit when you finish it. I could see that working for you for a reading program. I have really enjoyed using them to tell you the truth. I have learned a great deal of things I didn't know before from reading them. It really gets into some quite interesting studies and has even piqued our interest to delve further into certain topics so maybe it would be a good fit for your dd. I think CLP's website has some sample pages on it where you can see what it looks like before you buy it and if there is something specific you want to see from 7th grade let me know and I can take photos for you. :) Good luck. :)

Jennifer

The bible was my children's primary reading book when I was homeschooling. It was great for teaching reading comprehension, but I didn't know enough then to be able to teach it as literature.

As I begin my own self-studies now, I have returned to the idea of the Bible as the primary language arts book. I was able to purchase SOW (Student of the Word) from a member here, and signed up for a free 30 days at The Literary Study Bible site.

I started a thread recently about the Bible as Literature, that is a couple days back.