Menu

World-lass Ginger Snap cookie recipe

sorry, that would be world Class. Sigh!

This is from one of my mom's college roomates, Mim Peterson, so if you include attributions to the cooking goddesses on your recipe cards, we can thank Mrs. Peterson for this gem.

My MIL was a **fantastic** cook and she said this was the best Ginger Snap cookie she'd ever tasted, so I don't think you'll be diappointed with it.

Ginger Snaps (Makes about 75 cookies.)

3/4 c, butter, softened

3/4 c. shortening

1 1/2 c. sugar

2 eggs

1/2 c. molasses

4 c. flour

2 tsp. each soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger

1 tsp. salt

Additional sugar in a bowl.

Chill dough; roll by hand into ~ 7/8 inch balls, then roll each ball in granulated sugar before baking. Bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes.

Tips: 1) If you are meticulous about the rounded shape of the balls, the cookies are better (imho) because they are uniformly chewy if you bake them to just right doneness. My MIL had no patience for rolling out the balls "just so", indeed, she found my compulsion very amusing. :) YMMV.

2) Do not overbake these if you want chewy cookies. If overbaked, they will be hard on the bottom, and crunchy, so you can control whether you like them crunchy or chewy. Around our house, burned choc chips are tolerated, but crunchy ginger snaps are frowned upon! : )

Enjoy!!

Edited by Valerie(TX)