Menu

Biblical Worldview Rhetoric (Howat) - Has anyone used this?

Hi Janie,

I haven't used the book in print yet, but my eldest dd took Rhetoric in person from Mrs. Howat for her junior and senior years of high school. She says that Rhetoric was her most valuable high school class. I was impressed then at how quickly my dd's writing developed. Her arguments were solid and presented carefully and deliberately. These skills have served her well in college where she always receives compliments on her writing skills.

I have regretted not having this class for my next two, and look forward to using Mrs. Howat's published book for my ds. I have used several assignments with dd#2 and ds#1 which I gleaned from dd#1's notebooks.

When dd#1 went off to college, the first thing she wanted from home was her Rhetoric notebook (the precursor to the now published book). Even as a junior, she keeps this notebook on her desk at college as a valuable resource for writing papers.

You may not find many who currently use the book because it was just published this fall after most people had made their curriculum selections for the year. I have it on my desk and am very impressed. I will probably teach a co-op class using this book next year. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wow, I've never heard of this, but I'm drooling. Link?????

I can't get my link to work for some reason.

The book is on Amazon. Search Shaunna Howat Worldview and you should find it.

Let me know if you can't find it, and I'll get my tech support to help me with the link in the morning. (What will I do when he goes off to college?!?)

Leanna,

Thank you SO much for such glowing remarks about the text. Please update me when you begin to teach this! I'm coordinating the revision of our scope and sequence at the school I'm now teaching in and this just looked like something I might want to include. Of course, I've first got to order a copy for review for real. Thanks for the great info!

Ann-Marie, this plan is very much in the future (2-3 years) but generally thinking of 10th / 11th. We have fairly comprehensive Bible through high school culminating with a worldview class in 11th grade and senior thesis in 12th. I'm thinking this might work as a bridge between Bible (9th) and worldview (11th).

Guess I'm going to have to order the book to see!

I plan on using the book with a co-op class of 10th graders next year. I have all of these students this year, so I know their writing skills.

I would require that all students starting with this book already have well established essay writing skills.

My eldest dd took Rhetoric I in 11th grade and Rhetoric II in 12th. My ideal plan would be Rhetoric I in 10th, Rhetoric II in 11th, and an individualized plan involving a senior project for 12th. I probably won't get to carry out that plan until ds#2 hits high school.

Ann-Marie, this plan is very much in the future (2-3 years) but generally thinking of 10th / 11th. We have fairly comprehensive Bible through high school culminating with a worldview class in 11th grade and senior thesis in 12th. I'm thinking this might work as a bridge between Bible (9th) and worldview (11th).

Guess I'm going to have to order the book to see!

Thank you Janie. I am planning a Worldview class for my dd as well. I like your plan of putting this before worldview.

I plan on using the book with a co-op class of 10th graders next year. I have all of these students this year, so I know their writing skills.

I would require that all students starting with this book already have well established essay writing skills.

My eldest dd took Rhetoric I in 11th grade and Rhetoric II in 12th. My ideal plan would be Rhetoric I in 10th, Rhetoric II in 11th, and an individualized plan involving a senior project for 12th. I probably won't get to carry out that plan until ds#2 hits high school.

Thank you Leanna. This was very helpful. I would like to begin something like this with her next year as well, but I don't think her essay skills will be where I would like them by then. We may just have to wait for this until 11th as well.

• 3 years later...