Menu

MCT questions

mhaddon

I'm looking ahead to next year. My son will be in first grade, is that when you start level one? I tried weighing through all the threads, but wow. I don't have the time :001_huh:. My son is starting to read pretty well w/ phonics and some sight words, he has had little trouble understanding some very basic grammar rules and such. I just don't want to push him. What type of learner is this best for? thanks :)

Folks generally do not start MCT before 3rd grade. Dr. Kemnitz wrote that DC needs to be a fluent reader. The earlier you start, you'll have perhaps several gap years where DC just can't move on to the next level. Even starting in 3rd grade you'll likely have some gap years as the levels ramp up very quickly w/ the writing. I would not start w/ a 1st grader unless that DC is very advanced.

Oh ok, good to know. No way would he be ready then Lol.

Totally agree with all of the above! I think you want your child to be a fluent reader, and even a pretty fluent writer/speller. I used it last year with a highly accelerated 3rd grader with minimal grammar background and it still went great with extra writing added in. So it's very open ended that way.