Menu

Diagnosing Celiac

I just got a call from the nurse at my doctor's office, and here are the results she told me, with the caveat that I am probably not spelling much of this correctly!

The Celiac Reflex Panel was 138, which is considered normal.

The Celiac Tissue transglutaminase ABIGA was 1, also normal.

I don't know what these numbers mean, unfortunately, but if they are indeed normal, then I am going to give serious though to jplain's possible scenario of leaky gut causing a gluten sensitivity. In addition to the arsenic, I've heard that leaky gut can be caused by antibiotics, and while I've never been on them for an *extended* period, there have been many occasions (UTI's, sinus infections, pneumonia) where I've had to take them. I'm also thinking about trying the GAPS diet. Because, you know, my restrictive diet isn't a big enough pain in the butt already. :D

G: We are 8 weeks into the GAPS diet. My dh, who is the one with the known gluten reactions is a different man, I tell you! He says he has never felt better in his life. He actually *looks* different. The rest of us have different reasons to be on it, and we too are seeing some amazing healing. It has not been easy, but honestly, it has not been as hard as I thought, either. After the first week we have just been feeling better and better. PM me if you ever want to chat about it :)

OH yeah... we decided to keep taking communion but do not eat the antidoron (blessed bread). In our instance, the benefit is greater than the risk. I only know of 3 adults plus one family of 6 that are gluten-free in our parish and they all take communion (though there are possibly others that do not, that I don't know about). We are not participating in the Nativity Fast with our food choices, though we are observing the fast in other ways (guided by our Priest ).

Thanks for this information. I'm not sure from the description if that is what I had or not. The look of the bumps, like insect bites, matches. Both times it happened it was after a really high "dose" of gluten. But the distribution on my body was a bit different: mostly hands and forearms, and knees to ankles, though other places too, and on the worst occasion I was simply covered head to toe.

I guess I'll never know for sure. But I should at least hear back from my doc today about the blood tests he did, and maybe that will shed SOME light.

Thanks again to everyone who replied! I really appreciate all the help!

I get it mostly on my thighs, but it's definitely NOT hives. I get them from a few other things, totally different.

In the Orthodox Church, the bread is always put into the same big chalice as the wine. So it's all in there together. Still, I can talk to my priest and see what the options are.

Can you receive *just* wine? Some wines have gluten, but there is a wine that does not. Some Catholic churches serve it if there are members who have celiac.

G: We are 8 weeks into the GAPS diet. My dh, who is the one with the known gluten reactions is a different man, I tell you! He says he has never felt better in his life. He actually *looks* different. The rest of us have different reasons to be on it, and we too are seeing some amazing healing. It has not been easy, but honestly, it has not been as hard as I thought, either. After the first week we have just been feeling better and better. PM me if you ever want to chat about it :)

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well on it! That's very encouraging. :001_smile:

OH yeah... we decided to keep taking communion but do not eat the antidoron (blessed bread). In our instance, the benefit is greater than the risk. I only know of 3 adults plus one family of 6 that are gluten-free in our parish and they all take communion (though there are possibly others that do not, that I don't know about). We are not participating in the Nativity Fast with our food choices, though we are observing the fast in other ways (guided by our Priest ).

This is what I've been doing as well - taking communion but not the blessed bread. It really is such a tiny piece of bread. And there is a stubborn part of me that says it isn't merely bread, and the body of the Lord cannot harm me! (Assuming I've prepared with prayer, fasting, and recent confession, which I do.) I have not noticed any ill physical effects at all, but the spiritual effects are quite noticeable. I did not attend the liturgy last Sunday, and it has been a rough week emotionally and spiritually. I always feel so strengthened by it.

And there is a stubborn part of me that says it isn't merely bread, and the body of the Lord cannot harm me! (Assuming I've prepared with prayer, fasting, and recent confession, which I do.) I have not noticed any ill physical effects at all, but the spiritual effects are quite noticeable. I did not attend the liturgy last Sunday, and it has been a rough week emotionally and spiritually. I always feel so strengthened by it.

Yes, this! This is what I was too shy to say! And I, too, feel it when I miss. :grouphug: