Menu

Challenging/fun math centers for a math-loving kid?

3lilreds in NC

My 9 yo dd loves math. My 10 yo dd does not. I've been trying to teach them together, and it's not working particularly well, so I'm about to change that.

One thing I'd like to do, as we're going to implement the Workbox System, is get some math centers set up for her that she would enjoy and that would challenge her. Anyone have good ideas?

Thanks!

I don't know the workbox method, but math things my math savvy dc have liked are:

Key to books

Tangram sets with tangram books

Life of Fred (self teaching if a dc loves to read and likes the stories one a dc has mastered the 4 basic operations & knows the math facts)

etc

What math program are you using? Are you going to continue it at different rates for your dc?

Could you maybe set up a game corner?

If you work through all the levels of challenges on games like RushHour, River Crossing, 3-D puzzles and other similar logical/spatial games, you'll have given yourself quite a good training in basic logical thinking and in the kind of spatial reasoning that will be vital in geometry. ThinkFun also has a new game in which one person learns the basic moves of chess -- there are some 60 challenges to work through (of course if you already know chess or are a quick study, this would be too easy -- it's plenty challenging for me).

We're using Math U See right now, but I think we're going to switch to Teaching Textbooks. That way, they can go at their own pace without it being obvious who's done what workbook pages, if you KWIM, and I think it will be really good for my older dd who is not so mathy.

A game corner is a GREAT idea. I will have to come up with something to keep my 3 year old out of it, LOL.

The Workbox system is basically a set of boxes into which you put your child's work for the day. You're supposed to have 12 boxes, according to Sue Patrick, the creator, but you can do what works for you (although she says you must NEVER NEVER DEVIATE FROM HER SYSTEM. :D) Anyhoo, one of the things she suggests are "centers," which can be file folder games, etc, in a place away from their desk where they can work on something fun. She recommends a science center, a math center, a LA center... I think you could switch them out from day to day. I hope you can because we don't have room for more than one! We're going to use the system to help keep all of us on track, and so the kids see what they need to do, and so that hopefully we will get more done while I attempt to keep my son from destroying my house. :lol:

You HAD to send me over to that site, didn't you? I now have a HUGE wish list. HUGE. It's ridiculous. They have a ton of fabulous stuff!

:lol: Me too! I'm starting small and I ordered the $12 Bubble Zome kit. I would love the educator kit though! :eek:

There was a time when I'd be in the same boat as you, but after years and years of dc not picking up toys with little parts, I am now immune:D. It does look like a great idea, but for someone who a. has dc who clean things up, b. someone who doesn't mind cleaning up or c. someone who doesn't care about the mess. Not that I'm so neat, but I can't cope.

Have you thought about the Menu Math series from Remedia Publications? They are not complete math textbooks, but are rather supplements to math programs. They are workbooks with menus for various restaurants/department stores/ice cream parlors, and they have worksheet problems to go with them.

Here are some of the workbooks available:

Menu Math for Beginners

Menu Math: The Hamberger Hut

Menu Math: Market Math

Drive-Thru Menu Math

Menu Math: Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor

Market Math for Beginners

Department Store Math

For kids ages 9 or 10, I would go with any one in this series that is "for Beginners." Go with what your children are interested in. My oldest daughter wanted the ice cream parlor one, so that is what we did. If your kids are into McDonalds, then go with Hamberger Hut.