Menu

Saxon Math vs Teaching Texts

kreistetter

I've been using Saxon Math for the past 2 years with ds who is 10 yrs old. He understands the concepts of math, but makes many careless errors. He has the mindset that he isn't good at math. I was thinking about changing from Saxon to Teaching Text (or another program). I'm hoping the curriculum swap will help change his attitude toward math. Any thoughts or suggestions?

For my ds 11 switching to TT has been more than a blessing and he asks to do math!!!!!!!:confused::D Yes, we love it and will not be switching back. My friend is using it for her dd 12 and ds13 and ds loves it dd listens to lecture and then uses the book that works better for her but everyone is doing awesome and doesn't mind doing it. Good luck and if you do go with it I pray it is a blessing to you and yours as well.:grouphug:

We switched from MM to TT for my older daughter who (incorrectly) believed she was terrible at math. It's a really good fit for her because it has taken the emotion she's built up around math out of the picture. Her math is now between herself and the computer. I no longer need to have the role of cheerleader/drill-sergeant/therapist. Math isn't 2 hours of procrastination and torture any more. She does it quickly and happily and without complaint and is learning and retaining. I think the format appeals to her... Plus she gets immediate feedback and usually gets 100% correct on an assignment.

As you probably already know, it is at least a year behind other textbooks in scope/sequence so choose the level carefully.

We just did the opposite switch. My dd did TT 4 and we just switched to Saxon. Saxon is more advanced and TT 4 barely covered long division I wasn't very pleased with that. If you do switch your ds may place a year higher with TT. I probably should have placed my dd in Saxon 5/4 but I'm hoping with some extra work on division she can successfully complete 6/5.

My oldest dd used TT when she was homeschooling and always liked it. I wish I would have realized it was a year or so behind though because she has really had to work hard at her regular Math 7 class at ps because she was behind in math.

We recently switched our son over to TT and wish we had done it a year ago. We feel the program is solid and teaches the reason behind the math and not just the method to solve the problems. Math is a pleasure now, my son actually said last week "I like math again!" :D

Be sure to use the placement test and look over the content of each grade level. That is the best way to be sure you find the right fit for your son. Good luck!