Menu

Digital camera & correct MAC software for stop action animation?

My 10 yo son only wants a camera for stop action animation for Christmas. He needs a camera that can do some decent close up work, that is not insanely expensive.

I also am not sure if I already have the proper software I can use on one of our computers or not, and if not... what I need to get. I know in his animation class, the teacher used something called "single framer" but he was using a video camera, and I am not sure if that will be the best one for just a plain old camera.

So any of you stop action animators, help me out please!!!

:D

My son just uses a regular Fuji digital camera and iMovie, which is standard software on Macs. He takes 300-500 shots per movie. All cropping/editing, music, title/credits, and dialogue are added with iMovie. He's made some pretty cool little movies, if I say so myself :001_smile:.

Great... I have imovie on my one computer. I have not ever figured it out though. :confused:

I am sure my son can, though. :D

So I am ok getting a "normal" camera? I hate that you can't set the focus manually for close ups.

I'm sure your son can, too. That's what mine did :D. He found youtube tutorials like this one. One tip my son has for your son is to highlight all the pictures and change the timing to .5 when he's editing.

A "normal" camera has worked fine, so far. We could really use a tripod, but he has worked out using blue masking tape and taping the camera to some Lego bricks. I'm pleased with his creativity and not insisting that he needs new or special equipment for his movies. Big base plates have been invaluable to him.

HTH!

My 10 yo son only wants a camera for stop action animation for Christmas. He needs a camera that can do some decent close up work, that is not insanely expensive.

I also am not sure if I already have the proper software I can use on one of our computers or not, and if not... what I need to get. I know in his animation class, the teacher used something called "single framer" but he was using a video camera, and I am not sure if that will be the best one for just a plain old camera.

So any of you stop action animators, help me out please!!!

:D

My oldest started out using this free software we found on the Klutz website (it's mac compatible). He then moved on to the Timberdoodle SMA kit, but it's not mac compatible. The webcam the kit came with does a great job, though.