Menu

Which Geometry course fits this description....

• For an independent learner
  • Has always done great in math
  • Can start using right away (no time for placement tests)
  • Must be a strong program without a doubt (sorry no TT...so I hear :)
  • Must have cds or dvds
  • Instruction in cds or dvds and in book must be clear since Mom isn't strong in this subject (prefer that instruction follow book)
  • Must have solutions manual
  • Must be easy to implement (lessons plans or some other recommended schedule)
  • I have about $150 maybe $200 I can spend

I seriously considered Chalkdust but I've heard it includes a gabillion problems and that the book pages are "distracting" with color and illustrations. Also, the cost! Earlier today I read from this forum the awful reviews about BJU Geometry (that was someone else's adjective). I'm not sold on TT ony because if it is true that it's slow, my dd15 would get quickly--I mean very quickly--bored. I considered Saxon Geometry but haven't had time to read up on the verdict of how good or bad it may be. Jacobs has me intrigued so why am I hesitating? What kind of student would it not work for? Also, what is Lial's? What about other Geometry programs not often mentioned like A Beka or SOS?

I mostly need the program to be able to provide the needed instruction and direction. Even though dd is great in math I never have been so I also need it to have a solutions manual and online support would be the icing. Someone please share your much valued and highly desired 2 cents.

Blessings,

~Libby in Texas :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mama to 4 dc 17, 15, 14, and my little wee one 10!

BJU, A Beka, CLE, SOS, AO, R&S, Smarr, Notgrass, Progeny Press, MOH

I doubt you can find Chalkdust for $150-200.

I doubt that your student can do a "strong" program without help, since a "strong" geometry program is usually considered to be proof-heavy, and proofs are hard to do without interactive help along the way. We're doing Jacobs, which is considered "medium" in the proof department, and I couldn't just hand it to my son (who is good in math).

For Saxon Geometry, I just have to mention that it isn't written by Mr. Saxon.

Just had to mention those few things, because I wonder if you are expecting too much.

Julie

Art of Problem Solving would fit the bill on all counts- except that there are no DVDs.

There are online classes available; we don't have experience with them and just use the books.

• For an independent learner
  • Has always done great in math
  • Can start using right away (no time for placement tests)
  • Must be a strong program without a doubt (sorry no TT...so I hear :)
  • Must have cds or dvds
  • Instruction in cds or dvds and in book must be clear since Mom isn't strong in this subject (prefer that instruction follow book)
  • Must have solutions manual
  • Must be easy to implement (lessons plans or some other recommended schedule)
  • I have about $150 maybe $200 I can spend

Math Without Borders has a CD-rom program to go with Geometry: A Guided Inquiry. It's not lectures, but rather demonstrations of the problems, and it includes full worked solutions for every problem. The CD plus Geometers Sketchpad software is $109 and the text is about $40. You can read an extensive review and see samples of the text and CD-rom here. I haven't seen the text myself, but the same guy does DVDs for Foerster's Alg I & II, so I assume it's pretty rigorous.

Jackie

When I read your list, I was thinking it matched what I wanted and we went with Chalkdust.

There are a ton of problems. It does take a good chunk of time. My dd does not find the textbook to be distracting, though she is the type to like Usborne books:001_smile:

I was able to find the complete curriculum on DVD used in your price range, so I do not think your price range is off.

The most difficult time I have had is with scheduling. I so wish it came with a schedule. I either err on rushing my daughter or going to slow. We are working together and starting to get a handle on the schedule, but it has taken me a long time to figure it out.

Sharon