Menu

How do you implement Artistic Pursuits in your homeschool?

Xuzi

How often do you do Art in your homeschool if you're using AP? How long do you spend on a unit? And if it's supposed to be used for K-3, do you just repeat the whole thing each year? Or do you suppliment it with other books?

And if you suppliment it, what do you use? :bigear:

We use the schedule from Barb at her site, Harmony Art Mom (my link think is not working, sorry!) There are several AP books, by the time you get through the K-3 series you move on to the 4-6 series, etc. The information is repeated, but with a deeper emphasis (and different artists and projects).

We've just begun using it this year, but so far we are doing Art once/week, doing one project per session. There are 2 books per level (K-3, 4-6, Jr High, High School) and at our current pace we'll do roughly 1 book/year I think (we slowed down/missed some, so actually we'll not finish in a year, but that's okay....).

So, for my youngest -- he's not participating this year, his K year, and will do the K-3 Book One for 1st grade. Then he'll do Book Two for 2nd grade. At an honest rate, he'll probably take 3 semesters per book, so 1st grade/1st half of 2nd grade for Book One; 2nd half of 2nd grade/all of 3rd grade for book two. Then on to the next and so on.

My 4th grader is doing K-3 book one this year, will do 4th to 6th Book One next year for 5th grade, then 4th to 6th Book Two for his 6th grade year, and then on to the Jr high book.

My 7th grader is doing the Jr High Book One this year, Book Two next year for 8th grade (if he continues with art...), and then we'll split the High School books over however many years needed. He only needs 1 fine arts credit in high school, so we'll see how much he does.

anyway, once/week works well for us. We do it as the last thing of the day on Fridays, so that each boy can take as long as he needs for the project that day. It paces itself pretty well.