Menu

ACT Scores - April 12th scores are up!

We were excited to see the scores up this morning for dd. She did very well, but there's always room for improvement.

Her lowest score was in the Arts/Literature subsection. This is a dd who loves to read and is always reading. How would we go about bringing her score up in this area?

Overall, we were pleased. She took the test for practice this year, but I want her to improve her score next time.

Thanks for your suggestions.

nervous about the test? If so, did you do anything to help her get over that? My oldest is scheduled to take the test June 12th, and she's dreading it. It doesn't seem to help her when I tell her that many, many others are doing the same test.

We do have the Real ACT Test Prep. book, which we'll start working out of soon. I hope that will help.

Thanks for posting this information, Bev! It's great that the scores are posted online, and so quickly, too!

Yes, my dd does have test anxiety. I've always heard that practicing the test at home under real test condtions helps prior to taking the test so we did that. One of the reasons I had my dd take the test this year as practice was to help her overcome her test anxiety. She also took the PSAT this year for practice. I guess my plan of attack is to bombard her with tests so that when she takes the real thing it won't be a big deal. The exception being the SAT which she may take twice, but not until she's had more practice with the ACT - since SAT reports all scores and ACT only reports the scores you want.

HTH.

I have checked 4x and my son's scores are not up yet---neither are my niece's scores. I'm hopeful they get added this week. Did your dd take the writing test too?

Christi

According to the ACT website scores will be uploaded every Wednesday and Friday until they're all uploaded. So, if the scores aren't up today try again Friday.

My dd did take the writing portion of the test. The ACT website says the writing portion will be graded and uploaded approximately three weeks following the posting of the other sections.

HTH.

Yes' date=' my dd does have test anxiety. I've always heard that practicing the test at home under real test condtions helps prior to taking the test so we did that. One of the reasons I had my dd take the test this year as practice was to help her overcome her test anxiety. She also took the PSAT this year for practice. I guess my plan of attack is to bombard her with tests so that when she takes the real thing it won't be a big deal. The exception being the SAT which she may take twice, but not until she's had more practice with the ACT - since SAT reports all scores and ACT only reports the scores you want.

HTH.[/quote']

we were very pleased. He did take the writing portion, and those scores were listed as "not yet available".

I second what Bev said about lots of practice. My jr. son worked several practice tests from the Real ACT book and a couple of others I got at the library. After taking the PSAT twice and the SAT2 last spring, he was still a bit nervous, but not nearly as nervous as in the past.

His scores were good enough that we are all very relieved, and I don't plan on having him take the SAT since all the colleges he's looking at accept either the SAT or the ACT. He needs to focus the time remaining in this school year on getting the best grades possible in his courses, not on more test prep.

BTW, Bev, my son's Reading score in Arts/Literature was also a bit lower than his other scores, and he's a strong reader, too. I wonder if those passages were just a little tricky on this particular ACT.

I wouldn't be concerned unless you consistently see her score in Arts/Literature low over several practice tests. In my son's experience with the practice tests, we found that occasionally there was a passage that was particularly tricky, and it would pull his score down. On the other hand, there would occasionally be a passage that he could really relate to (one of the passages in one of the prep books was about the history of Star Trek), and his score would be higher on that one.

Brenda

My son also used the Real ACT book to prep. He started it in January and worked on it a little each day. He'll use it again next year as he preps to take it again.

In NC we have to administer a standardized test to our children that are over 7 yo. My kids have taken the CAT/5 or the IOWA test each year so testing hasn't ever been something to worry about. My son had no idea that others were stressed out or anxious about the ACT. He thought it was just another test. I'm grateful now for all of his past testing experience! We'll see (when his scores go up) how that looked like on paper. In NC the ACT can be counted as the annual standardized exam for the year. The SAT does not. He's a 10th grader now and will likely take the ACT twice more before graduating. He can work to bring up his scores, if necessary, but can also satisfy our state's requirement doing it.

Christi