Menu

Anyone use playpens, etc. during school?

I know this seems a little bit early with the baby not even being here yet, but this has been on my mind! Does anyone use a playpen, pack-n-play, or other form of trained confinement for their littles during school time? I didn't use anything like that with dd, but it keeps crossing my mind that this would be a really sensible thing, to accustom them to reasonable periods of time (1/2-1 hour?) where they have special toys, books on tape, etc. and are expected to play quietly in their confined area. That way I wouldn't have a toddler ripping through the house, pulling out things, etc., like I hear people talking about while they school. (Everybody says it's not the babe in arms but the TODDLER that's the problem!)

So is that a good way to head that off at the pass? It seems to me if I want that I'd have to start early and make it kind of normal, not a specially imposed school-time torture when they hit 9 months, lol.

Any thoughts? I'm not generally a cage or cruelty person, quite the opposite, but there just seemed to be some common sense value in this. Anyone do it? If you want to tell me not only how you confine them but how you do it, how you developed that habit or happiness, I'm all ears! :bigear:

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

I didn't know! Oi, I miss so much not getting here every day!

I have not used a playpen yet; Schmooey naps quite a bit during school. However, he will go in his play pen when he's staying awake a bit longer and mobile. He's just starting to get into stuff so I can see it happening soon, but he really isn't awake very long so it's worth it to wait until naptime, usually. Plus the girls are so distracted by his cute self that trying to do school while he's awake can be less than productive.

When he was a newborn, I did a lot of school while nursing. We could do our read-alouds, spelling (AAS), FLL, etc. with me nursing and the girls sitting nearby.

I think it's good to train a wee one to play on their own in a play pen. I did it with both girls. Emma liked it; Abbie screamed a lot, LOL. I didn't have Abbie in there as much because she really hated it, and I couldn't get much done with Emma running amok, anyway. Schmooey is so easygoing that I think he will be fine with it.

When they get to where they enjoy an activity arch, that's a great thing to put in the play pen! Then they get used to playing in there early on and it becomes an accepted part of their day. Also Sassy makes a cute mirror that can either attach to the crib or sit on the floor. It's fun to look at and has other stuff to do besides looking in the mirror.

Oh, you're going to have so much fun! Do you know what you're having?

She was only about 18mo or so when she figured out how to hoist herself over the edge. She would play in there for about 1/2 to MAYBE an hour at a time, then get bored and want attention. It did take some training though. I kept the PnP right with us in the school room, so we were of course all together. It's just that when she was down, she was getting into EVERYTHING!! All of the "safe" supplies were on the lower shelves (paper, recycled plastic containers, etc.), but still, it was very distracting and always such a mess. I also worried about the shelves falling on her, and also her getting into "real" schoolwork papers and books.

After the PnP, we started putting her into her highchair with us at the table, and gave her some new "schoolwork" that was exciting - coloring, reading books, Colorwonder paper/markers, stickers, even kid scissors! She really enjoyed being with us and "doing school" too! But she didn't last long in there either - maybe an hour. So I'd have to make very good use of the time when she wasn't needing my direct attention.

Now that DD is 3, almost 4, and does school with us at the table. Younger DS who's 14mo. will sit in the PnP and play (reluctantly - still working on this) for maybe 1/2 hour, 2 times through the day. He will also still take a late morning nap for an hour. Otherwise he wants to crawl, climb and toddle!! I have had to do reading anywhere and everywhere (while following baby!) just to get it done with the olders!

Anyway, it worked for me for some of the time. GL!!

- Stacey in MA

Thanks Beth, yup we're due in September! :)

Well it sounds like the playpen thing is good when it works... Maybe I need to build a bigger cage? I've seen this walled pens with larger dimensions you can buy. I'm thinking I could build off a wall section in our school room, hehe.

Anyone else do any form of pen, cage, pack & play, etc. with their crawler/toddler?