Menu

I'm a little confused and overwhelmed about science

plain jane

I am not really sure what to do or where to go from here so I thought I'd turn to the Hive for advice.

I like following the WTM sequence for science because it helps me feel like I'm not neglecting some huge area of study and I do like a systematic approach to things. That said, I did depart from it a little bit and am doing a 2nd rotation of biology this year with my grade 4 using Apologia's Anatomy book and will follow it with either a Zoology book or the Botany one. She's quite advanced so I figured we'd do okay covering our second rotation one year early. I also would like to keep her with my grade 1 together and studying the same topics.

This means that next year, in grade 5, we'll be doing our 2nd rotation of earth and space. For our first rotation in 2nd grade I used Apologia's Astronomy and CKE Earth & Space for the Earth portion. I would like to use more advanced materials this time around but I can't seem to find any that fit.

I started another thread and BJU was mentioned as having an Earth/Space text as well as Kolbe. I looked into both of these and while they look great, they are listed as Grade 8. :001_huh: Are they really for those grade levels? Could I take an advanced grade 5 child through either of them?

So, what I'm confused about is if Grade 8 is an ideal time to do Earth/Space or why two publishers have chosen to make their materials for that grade? Should I put off Earth/Space and cover it in grade 8, but that would leave us with Chemistry to do next year and since WTM has it as a 7th grade subject, I'm not confident my grade 5'er could do it.

I don't know what to do. :(

CPO seems like it *may* work but it seems complicated to *me*. The only other option I can find is Prentice Hall Science Explorer but if someone said it's written at a gr4-6 level and I'm not sure if that will be sufficient for Logic stage.:confused:

The last option I can think of is to buy multiple years of Harcourt Science (gr. 5-8 maybe) and use their Earth & Space portions to put together a full year curriculum studying Earth & Space. This seems hugely expensive but if it gets done and my child is learning what she should without me losing too much of my sanity then it'll be worth it.:tongue_smilie:

I'd love to do full WTM science next year but with 3 other kids to teach, I don't think I can pull it off.

Any thoughts?

Answers in Genesis has a multi-age earth and space science curriculum called God's Design for Heaven and Earth. There are three books in the series.

We're doing Our Universe right now and I really like it. Each chapter is designed for differing ability levels -- young elementary reads the first page of a chapter, and upper elementary/middle schoolers have age-appropriate reading and extension activities in the rest of the chapter. In fact, I am looking forward to doing this series again when my kids are older, as I think the hands-on stuff is better suited to upper elementary kids.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicStore/product/Gods-Design-for-Heaven-and-Earth-Complete-Set,6505,194.aspx

Answers in Genesis has a multi-age earth and space science curriculum called God's Design for Heaven and Earth. There are three books in the series.

We're doing Our Universe right now and I really like it. Each chapter is designed for differing ability levels -- young elementary reads the first page of a chapter, and upper elementary/middle schoolers have age-appropriate reading and extension activities in the rest of the chapter. In fact, I am looking forward to doing this series again when my kids are older, as I think the hands-on stuff is better suited to upper elementary kids.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicStore/product/Gods-Design-for-Heaven-and-Earth-Complete-Set,6505,194.aspx

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

My only concern with texts that have such a big age span is they usually do a great job with one age and poor with the others or just mediocre all around. I'm hoping to do a solid year of earth and space but maybe there's just nothing out there for us. :confused: