Menu

After 3 years, leaving K12... oh boy.

LisaKinVA

:DSo, dh and I made the decision yesterday to abandon K12 for all of our children. I decided this was our oldest's last year... he really needs something different, instead of just doing the "next" thing in the progression. But, driving to church last night, I was thinking about our schedule, all of the different subjects, and the cost. I am dreading the Pre-Algebra text for my daughter (she'll be 9 next year), and I'm dreading Math+ Yellow for my son (he'll be 8). I really dislike the new math program (for us). I think it could be good for a lot of kids... but not mine.

My children are looking forward to it (cautiously) So, put me back on the curriculum hamster wheel...lol

Next year, I will have a 12yo, 9yo, 8yo, 5yo and 2.5yo. I will also be in our new home (big Oh, YEAH! -- no more overcrowding, a working kitchen with a dishwasher, a laundry room... and a place for our school stuff I can "walk away from" instead of walk around...

As much as possible, I'm going to use what we already have (and I have a lot).

So, here goes:

12yo boy --

Math -- LoF, finish up Pre-Algebra books, do Algebra I book, follow with Chalk Dust Algebra I

Grammar & Spelling/Poetry/Vocab -- Abeka (I have it already)

Composition -- IEW

Literature -- Abeka, and either some Progeny Press Lit studies or Lightening Lit (I don't consider the Abeka a literature program, more of a broad brush to different genres of literature. We'll be choosing 4 books to study during the year as an actual study) Testing the formats again...

History -- Planning on doing a "review" SOTW (on audio), VP History cards/chants, and books he hasn't read (we did all of the Hakim books over the past two years. He likes to read... hopefully he will enjoy the variety.) Also, he'll be starting a timeline (he will more or less just do the VP history cards on the time line, he can add more to it in over the next 5-6 years)

Science -- Abeka Physical Science (I have it already), I figure, if it doesn't fly, I can change to something else next year. But, the book is pretty easy to outline, and easy for me to work with -- so it gives us a place to start.

Bible -- Explorer's Bible Study

Latin -- Latin Alive

Logic -- Still working on this.

Art -- The Church and a History of Art (we'll use this more than one year)

Music -- Music Ace... guitar.

9yo daughter--

Math -- LoF, mabye some Chalk Dust Basic Math (test the format, I have the program)

Grammar/Spelling/Vocab/Poetry -- Abeka

Literature -- Abeka, with some Progeny Press Guides

History -- Veritas Press for grades 3/4, SOTW audio, books, timeline (she'll be doing this with her younger brother).

Science -- Apologia -- Botany and Human Anatomy (Josh wants Anatomy, Kathryn wants Botany, I want them to work together!) We will probably do Science 4 days a week, because the children like it.

Latin -- Latin for Children A

Art -- I Can Do All Things

Music -- Recorder & Music Theory

Son -- 8yo

Math -- Teaching Textbooks 5 & 6, and maybe start LoF.

Grammar/Spelling/Vocab/Poetry -- Abeka

Literature -- Abeka, with some Progeny Press Guides

History -- Veritas Press for grades 3/4, SOTW audio, books, timeline (doing this with sister).

Science -- Apologia -- Botany and Human Anatomy (Josh wants Anatomy, Kathryn wants Botany, I want them to work together!) We will probably do Science 4 days a week, because the children like it.

Latin -- Latin for Children A

Music -- Recorder & Music Theory

Daughter -- 5yo

Math -- Abeka Arithmetic (has been great for the others... hoping she likes it too).

Phonics/Penmanship -- Abeka (I'm not sure where she will place yet, she can do CVC words now), Lots of books. Audio Books, etc.

Grammar -- Oral Language Exercises/maybe FLL

Latin -- Song School Latin

History/Science... She'll be sitting in on lessons with older siblilngs.

So, that's where I'm at.

I'm impressed with how you have it all planned out already! I know changing curriculums can be overwhelming sometimes, but really it is the beauty of homeschooling! Sounds like you've got everything covered. It sure sounds like a heavy load to me, but I probably would be overwhelmed at the number of students you have, as I am only doing two right now!:grouphug:

Sounds like a fabulous plan! We used Abeka a lot with ds, he really liked the fact that it was laid out and all "right there." If we wanted we could veer off from history and science, for instance we did Apologia Physical Science and Marine Biology and Notgrass American History in addition to Abeka, because we wanted to delve into that. Not all in one year, just as part of our jr. high/high school lineup. We used Abeka's LA almost exclusively and ds has done very well in college. One of his current professors is setting him up to test out of the next level in one of his English classes because he is doing so well.

I am not very familiar with K12, but I think you have a firm grasp on what you have planned for them. Looks like a rigorous and complete year for all of them.

Well, to be "fair" -- I've used all (or most) of this before. So, it's not completely unfamiliar territory. Also, by grouping my then 8yo and 9yo together for history, Science, Bible & Latin I am saving a bunch of time.

I've been so busy this year with each child in their own full curriculum (except music), that my 4yo hasn't gotten near the attention the others did when they were 4. I thought I could "squeeze" her in, but that hasn't worked out very well.

Of course, things are bound to go wrong somewhere... but hopefully the changes are for the better for everyone.

I'm hoping my mom can spend a couple weeks with me this spring to get it all planned out and on our 3x5 cards... (especially for the oldest). There is a lot of lesson planning in my future.