Menu

Telescope help

Jmac

We are studying astronomy right now and wanted to get the family a telescope for Christmas but I don't even know where to start here. Does anyone know what I should be looking for or have a good idea of what I should get? Do I really need the $500 telescope or would the $100 one be just fine for now?

Thanks so much

We are studying astronomy right now and wanted to get the family a telescope for Christmas but I don't even know where to start here. Does anyone know what I should be looking for or have a good idea of what I should get? Do I really need the $500 telescope or would the $100 one be just fine for now?

Thanks so much

Galileoscope is the only inexpensive telescope that is worthwhile. Otherwise, I'd get a pair of binoculars.

Edited by Perry

I'm going to quote myself from an older thread:

The first step before buying binoculars or a telescope is learning the night sky. You can download a free map from www.skymaps.com. You can also download Stellarium (http://www.stellarium.org/) to help you identify major stars and preview what you can see at any given time/night. It might be easier for you to go out without your children in the beginning to learn a few things before taking them out.

The next step for an adult or older children would be binoculars, but it is really difficult for young children to use them effectively. Try to find a local astronomy club to visit to see how long your children's attention spans are and what would best fit your needs. You also might find that a few visits to look through other people's telescopes is all you need.

This time a year, lots of astronomy clubs offer workshops about how to pick out a *good* telescope that is right for you. BTW, you can get a really nice Dobsonian telescope for less than $500, but we won't talk about the accessories ;) Visit some public nights at astronomy clubs, check out what is available, and find out how interested your kids are in astronomy. It can help you make the right decision.

BTW, you can get a really nice Dobsonian telescope for less than $500, but we won't talk about the accessories ;) Visit some public nights at astronomy clubs, check out what is available, and find out how interested your kids are in astronomy. It can help you make the right decision.

:iagree:

And I won't talk about the accessories either. This 6" Classic Dobsonian comes with everything you need to get started at well under $500. The 8" model is just a bit more.

We have the 10", but it was purchased for a teen. I didn't have to carry it or figure it out. :tongue_smilie:

Do get to an astronomy club meeting though, as there are adjustments and fine tuning to be made on even the best scopes to get the best view you can get. This was something we didn't realize. Once someone who knew their stuff (and had the proper tools) got their hands on my son's scope, it made quite a difference.

I'm going to quote myself from an older thread:

This time a year, lots of astronomy clubs offer workshops about how to pick out a *good* telescope that is right for you. BTW, you can get a really nice Dobsonian telescope for less than $500, but we won't talk about the accessories ;) Visit some public nights at astronomy clubs, check out what is available, and find out how interested your kids are in astronomy. It can help you make the right decision.

:iagree:

I also really think it depends on how much you will use it.

There are clubs all over - and the people in the clubs LOVE a chance to get people into their hobby (sorta like we love to talk about homeschooling). Most of them have multiple telescopes, and would be more than happy to let you "test drive" them.

Have fun!

If you already know a number of the constellations and can find a few things with a binoculars and still want to go further, than a telescope would be great fun! (Orion Skyquest 6", 8", 10" and bigger--or the push to that helps you locate things. Nice scope.)

Almost all of our club members have a Dobsonian tucked away in their collection of scopes. I think the 8" is a great all-around starter scope for those who are serious.

If you want something more "pocket sized", I've heard great things about the Astroscan, but it won't see nearly as much as the larger scopes. http://www.scientificsonline.com/astroscan-plus-telescope.html

I hobbled a post together from several emails a while ago here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1511912#poststop The thoughts don't flow well throughout the post, but it gets a lot of ideas across.

HTH,

Jean