Menu

What does a new baby need?

Make sure she signs up for all the freebies! Go to any baby company website and they have stuff for new or soon to be mommies! I remember getting diaper bags from the formula companies, even though I nursed exclusively. The hospital also gives out formula and freebies (well, mine did).

Try not to go to the "freebie" websites. A lot of those just want your information or try to make you sign up for stuff. If you find a legit one, good, but going straight to the baby companies is best!

I think this can be a stumbling block for a first time breastfeeding mother, and I strongly recommend against having formula around. (If she is planning on bfing).

A good book on breastfeeding, breast pads for leakage, a nice water bottle to use to drink out of

A nice book to read in the looong hours of initially establishing breastfeeding.

Good suggestions. I read The Breastfeeding Book by Martha and William Sears over and over again when I was starting off bfing for the first time, and it was a life saver. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is popular too, and Ina May Gaskin has a breastfeeding book.

I needed a comfy step stool when bfing, to position baby and myself comfortably.

I haven't read the entire thread so it may have been mentioned but don't forget nail scissors and little things like that. I would also get more gowns, but I loved those things for the first couple months. They make changing the diaper of floppy wiggly newborn so much easier.

I don't know the weather where she lives but one of those covers that fit over infant car seats for cold weather would be a good idea. Much easier to keep in place then just using a blanket. Also I didn't have one (didn't know of them when mine babies) but one of those baby wraps that that snuggles baby right up to mom would have been a godsend when ds was a newborn.

I think this can be a stumbling block for a first time breastfeeding mother, and I strongly recommend against having formula around. (If she is planning on bfing).

Good suggestions. I read The Breastfeeding Book by Martha and William Sears over and over again when I was starting off bfing for the first time, and it was a life saver. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is popular too, and Ina May Gaskin has a breastfeeding book.

I needed a comfy step stool when bfing, to position baby and myself comfortably.

:iagree:

Actually another thing would be a Boppy pillow, my online Moms group with DD raved about them for helping with breastfeeding positions.