Menu

What does a new baby need?

Our daughter is expecting our first grandbaby in February. They are super tight on money and dh and I are doing lots of shopping to help them out.

Here's what we have so far:

2 gowns

7 sleepers

6 bottles with 2 bottle brushes

10 burp cloths

4 pair of mittens

6 pair of socks

5 recieving blankets

1 heavier Carters blanket

2 wash clothes with matching towels

babies first aid kit and med organizer kit

diaper bag

ordered from Amazon 1 case newborn diapers

1 case size 1 diapers

1 case of diaper wipes --all sensitive skin

we are ordering a bassinet that rocks and she can move it from room to room

They are getting the car seat, bath tub,toys, diaper pail, changing table and bed.

When she comes to Europe we are going to get her a European stroller when the baby is about 4 months. We will also have a pack and play for her to take back when she visits.

What else do we need?

Edited by Tammy in Germany

Congratulations!

I'd go for more blankets, diapers, wipes, onesies and sleepers/gowns along with sensitive skin laundry detergent. Babies can add up to lots of laundry even with their teeny-tiny things:001_smile:.

Prepared food and meals are always a blessing. If you aren't near to drop the food off, care packages or many companies send great gift baskets.

More washcloths

6-12 old fashioned flat/prefold diapers (They make excellent burp cloths and changing mats.)

Sling

extra sheets for the bassinet/crib

Crocheted or knit baby afghan

diaper ointment or vaseline

liquid baby wash/soap

baby swing

laundry detergent and stain remover

a nice book of nursery rhymes and a selection of board books

gift cards to be used as needed

I'm not sure where exactly your daughter is, but it sounds like it isn't in Europe. The pack and play might be more expensive to take back than it would be to buy a new one. We bought a new one for $40 USD a few months ago. Shipping/luggage/freight charges might come pretty close to that.

I'd also say not to worry about a baby tub, because I don't think I've used one with any of my three children. We used the kitchen sink. Other people may have cleaner children than my own, though. We also found that a changing pad on top of a dresser was just as easy and much cheaper than a changing table. Those might be ideas to pass on to save them a little money.

I'd definitely agree with the recommendation to get larger sizes in clothing. I have lots of newborn and 0-3 month clothes with the tags still on for my future children. Also, keep an eye on the likely weather for each size. Sometimes babies will hit a growth spurt and surprise you, but generally assuming normal growth patterns is better than buying every single outfit in summer or winter clothes. (Which one of my relatives did.) I'd also say don't buy shoes. We have tons of itty-bitty baby shoes that have never been worn.

This is sounding more like a "don't buy" list than a list of needs. I've had three babies in the last 3 years (give or take a couple months) so I think I'm focusing on all the things that take up space that we didn't need. My absolute favorite baby item, which was a necessity in my house, was a crib tent. We have cats and dogs that I wasn't going to get rid of just because we had a baby. The cats can open round door knobs, so I needed something to make sure animals wouldn't be getting into the crib. It also kept things like pacifiers from falling out of the crib, and later on it kept my children from being able to climb out. It probably wouldn't be as important in a household without animals, but it was a lifesaver for us.

Our daughter is expecting our first grandbaby in February. They are super tight on money and dh and I are doing lots of shopping to help them out.

Here's what we have so far:

2 gowns

7 sleepers

6 bottles with 2 bottle brushes

10 burp cloths

4 pair of mittens

6 pair of socks

5 recieving blankets

1 heavier Carters blanket

2 wash clothes with matching towels

babies first aid kit and med organizer kit

diaper bag

ordered from Amazon 1 case newborn diapers

1 case size 1 diapers

1 case of diaper wipes --all sensitive skin

we are ordering a bassinet that rocks and she can move it from room to room

They are getting the car seat, bath tub,toys, diaper pail, changing table and bed.

When she comes to Europe we are going to get her a European stroller when the baby is about 4 months. We will also have a pack and play for her to take back when she visits.

What else do we need?

What you have is good. A baby doesn't NEED bath tub toys, diaper pail and a changing table. A basinette will last until the baby is about 3 months old. Onesies are NICE, though! They are not too expensive.

I had 3 babies and NEVER had a changing table or diaper pail. In fact, I didn't even have a CRIB until my baby was getting too big for the crib. All the clothes that I had for my first baby fit in the basket on the bottom of the basinette, along with diapers, wipes and diaper rash cream.

NEEDS:

Somewhere for the baby to sleep (basinette, crib, pack n play, your bed)

Clothes (onesies, gowns, outfits, socks)

Carseat (rear facing, convertible if possible)

Diapers (size one, or newborn if baby is small)

Wipes

Blankets and extra sheets for whatever baby is sleeping in

Diaper rash ointment (I prefer Desitin)

Baby wash

Cotton balls and rubbing alcohol (for the umbilical cord)

Sanitary napkins (for the mommy)

I used to make care packages for mommies that I worked with that had TONS of wipes, baby wash, ointment and sanitary napkins. (I used to coupon LIKE CRAZY and these things were free/cheap) Some people would wonder why I gave them 5+ boxes of pads, but the mothers... they knew, and appreciated it lol! I also included whatever else I could get for free that babies needed. DO NOT pass up ANY sales on diapers! If you can get a pack of diapers for less than $7, GET THEM!

These are the BARE BONES needs. Of course you already have some extra stuff that is more than that. Some Pack n plays have a changing table built in, I think some have a basinette. If you don't buy a basinette, there is NOTHING wrong with the baby sleeping in the car seat!! I have babysat for babies, and since I don't have baby stuff anymore, they slept in their carseat, unless they brought a playpen (pack n play)

Extras:

Baby towels and washcloths (softer for baby's skin)

Pacifiers

Baby Monitor

Basinette

Burp cloths (I used all the receiving blankets that I had)

Baby sling

Swing (my kids hated this, though)

Boppy pillow

Don't get frustrated with NOT having everything.. just take care of the needs first, then the rest will follow. Especially if there is a baby shower happening. People just LOVE to buy cute and new baby stuff!

I think the lists of what you need and don't have been very good! I especially like Tylianna's reminder of what Mom needs after a birth!

I did want to comment on this though:

Cotton balls and rubbing alcohol (for the umbilical cord)

I've had three babies in four years and each time it's been emphasized to NOT use alcohol on the cord and just leave it alone. It seems to no longer be the standard of care, so check before you or your daughter stock up on these supplies.

What you need depends on how one parents.

For us, for example, a sling is a necessity, but a stroller isn't. We have no use for a crib, or for disposable diapers. With DD we had no need for bottles because I was bf'ing and wasn't working; with the one on the way I need bottles and such because I'll be going back to work and have to pump.

Clothing-wise, what's needed depends on season and preference. Babies who are worn most of the time rather than put in seats/strollers a majority of the time don't need much in the way of warm clothing even when it's cold. I personally detest onesies, and prefer T-shirts plus cute diaper covers for our cloth diapers. Some people think babies need socks on all the time, others don't. Etc.

Honestly for the baby I've got on the way the things we need (whether we have them or not) are:

-A baby sling/carrier

-Cloth diapers

-A full sized bed plus a mini-loft or a full/twin bunk set for DD's room (the full for me to sleep with baby, the loft/bunk to make room for it)

-T-shirts and gowns for baby, maybe a dozen

-baby tub (given the state of my kitchen sink)

-bassinet (for baby naps and sleeping while I'm at work the first few months--and really this is optional)

-pump, storage bags, and bottles for feeding baby while I'm at work

Well, a changing table and toys are not needs for a newborn. I've never owned a changing table and I've got four kids.

I would get two packs of onesies (they usually have 5-6 per pack). They are great for layering under sleepers in cooler weather. I also like the 2 packs of Gerber or Carter's soft, cotton pants. They are great with onesies.

If she is planning to wear baby then she will need a sling, of course, and baby won't need layered clothing for the first few months.

You can never have too many socks. They slip off constantly!

Maybe one of those car seat bunting things. European winters are cold.

Tons of cloth diapers

onesies

wipes

diapers

ear thermometer

nose bulb

nail clippers that are easy

mittens(lots)

All of that, and...

In Europe? A bunting. Strollers aren't regularly brought into places, even in winter. The baby is all bundled up in the bunting and the stroller is on the porch. No one steals the kid. Otherwise, the kid is in a sling, etc.

And a boob. People aren't weird about it in Europe.

a

These swaddle blankets have been a lifesaver with my newborn.

Other than that, the lists sound great. I personally don't have a need for a baby bathtub (just use the sink or lay the baby in the bathtub with an inch of water), bassinet (roll up towels in a crib or use a pack 'n play), mittens, changing table (just use a dresser), boppy pillow (pillows work better for me), or cloth diapers.

Other things I do like to have that aren't mentioned: bouncy seat and/or portable swing (to keep baby safe from the big kids), exersaucer, laz-y-boy recliner, and nursing stool for my feet.

I loved easy to use swaddle blankets (Miracle Blankets were used here and for many of my friends). It really helped my babies sleep when they were little.

I think a changing table would be an unnecessary expense. Unless there are health issues it's just as easy to change a baby on a pad on the floor. I used waterproof changing blanket type thing (the type used for cloth diapering are nice as they are entirely washable on hot).

As other have mentioned lots of onsies are very helpful.

I love those temporal artery thermometers--they are accurate and so easy to use on a wiggly baby.

What you need depends on how one parents.

For us, for example, a sling is a necessity, but a stroller isn't. We have no use for a crib, or for disposable diapers. With DD we had no need for bottles because I was bf'ing and wasn't working; with the one on the way I need bottles and such because I'll be going back to work and have to pump.

Clothing-wise, what's needed depends on season and preference. Babies who are worn most of the time rather than put in seats/strollers a majority of the time don't need much in the way of warm clothing even when it's cold. I personally detest onesies, and prefer T-shirts plus cute diaper covers for our cloth diapers. Some people think babies need socks on all the time, others don't. Etc.

Honestly for the baby I've got on the way the things we need (whether we have them or not) are:

-A baby sling/carrier

-Cloth diapers

-A full sized bed plus a mini-loft or a full/twin bunk set for DD's room (the full for me to sleep with baby, the loft/bunk to make room for it)

-T-shirts and gowns for baby, maybe a dozen

-baby tub (given the state of my kitchen sink)

-bassinet (for baby naps and sleeping while I'm at work the first few months--and really this is optional)

-pump, storage bags, and bottles for feeding baby while I'm at work

This. I'm due any day and I got these:

A stroller travel system w car seat (though I may end up not using the stroller much but I don't like changing baby on public changing tables and end up using the stroller, and it holds the diaper bag).

A mei tai baby carrier- this is what I'll mostly use while out with baby.

Cloth diapers

Cloth wipes

Lots of cotton gowns and tees. I don't like onesies. I have soft wool pants that can serve as a diaper cover and pants, since we use cloth diapers.

Socks

Hats

Blankets for swaddling

Burp cloths- lots, because i use them to catch breastmilk overflow too.

Cloth nursing pads

I wish I had tried cloth mama pads for postpartum, but too late now

A small portable swing, in case I need to buy a little time to throw a quick dinner together or take a shower. However, one of my kids hated the swing, so it may have been a waste. I would have a swing or bouncy seat on hand though, jic.

A small pack n play/bassinet thing so I can lay baby down in the school room with us when he falls asleep.

A baby monitor in case I leave the room he's sleeping in.

A boppy pillow for nursing.

A big changing pad for middle of the night changes and a new trash can with lid to serve as a diaper pail.

A diaper bag

That's it I think. We don't need a crib since we cosleep, I don't plan on pumping, and I'll wait on a high chair and baby gates until he's older.

More information....We are in Germany and she's in Texas. No family at all near them.

What kind of sling? Where could I order this and what's the best.

Also we would like to get her a rocking chair with an ottoman...what kind is best? Where could I order this from?

I haven't done this baby thing in 12 years and I feel so out of touch. ;)

For meals...I would love to send them so nice premade meals from a company...any ideas?

Thanks so much for all the great advice and help!

Also we would like to get her a rocking chair with an ottoman...what kind is best? Where could I order this from?

As many hours as my butt has spent rocking and nursing kidlets, I would vote NO on the rocking chair and YES on a laz-y-boy rocker recliner. The rockers just aren't as comfortable for long nursing sessions (particularly when my parts are freshly sore from delivery) or for sleeping when your infant/toddler is sick and needing to be held all.night.long. When we had #3, we bought a second laz-y-boy so I would have one on each floor of the house.

I have a Dutailier glider and a nursing stool. I don't like an ottoman that glides back and forth because then you don't have the stability to get and keep the baby in the right position (when they are tiny and positioning is tricky). Something about the angle of the nursing stool is just PERFECT!

Unless the babies a preemie I doubt you will need a whole case of newborn diapers. All my children when straight in to size 1's, but they were large. Is she going to nurse? If so she will not need bottles, but will need nursing pads, and lansinoh cream. I recommend the Lansinoh nursing pads they are the best.

Make sure she signs up for all the freebies! Go to any baby company website and they have stuff for new or soon to be mommies! I remember getting diaper bags from the formula companies, even though I nursed exclusively. The hospital also gives out formula and freebies (well, mine did).

Try not to go to the "freebie" websites. A lot of those just want your information or try to make you sign up for stuff. If you find a legit one, good, but going straight to the baby companies is best!

More information....We are in Germany and she's in Texas. No family at all near them.

For meals...I would love to send them so nice premade meals from a company...any ideas?

Where is she in TX?

Here are few places that deliver meals in Dallas.

http://www.guesswhoscomingtodinnercaterers.com/meals/mealstogo.htm

http://www.mealsonthemove.com/PF8_Restaurants.asp?r=1

I know there are more casserole kind of places, I'll have to call a friend to get the names.

You can order the rockers and ottomans on the Babies'r'us website. Just search for rockers. Dutalier has beautiful, well made rockers. Here's a link to their site. http://www.dutailier.com/dealerlocator.php

Have fun grandma!

Unless the babies a preemie I doubt you will need a whole case of newborn diapers. All my children when straight in to size 1's, but they were large.

:iagree: I've had three smallish babies <7lbs and we go through 1 reg package of newborn diapers before going into 1s. My last one just used up the newborn diapers the hospital gave us and went directly into 1s. We don't start buying cases until they start wearing size 2. When people have wanted to bless us with our last baby and the one I'm pg with atm, they've given us gift cards for diapers instead of an actual package. Perfect gift!

My favorite kind of sling is a pouch sling. There are several on the market. It's very easy for mom to use.

For the baby carrier I would ask mom to look at several kinds, as most moms have strong opinions on what looks overwhelming to use (and therefore won't be used) and what they will use. Personally I use ring slings (a lot of people love http://www.sleepingbaby.net/products.php?sprice=2) and I also use a soft structured carrier because I have bad shoulders, so I need a two-shoulder carry that's FAST with two other kids to wrangle (I use an AngelPack, other people like Ergos and Becos with babies too).

I have a Dutailier glider and a nursing stool. I don't like an ottoman that glides back and forth because then you don't have the stability to get and keep the baby in the right position (when they are tiny and positioning is tricky). Something about the angle of the nursing stool is just PERFECT!

:iagree: I went out and bought a nursing stool to go with my glider rocker LONG before we had kids, because my girlfriend (who had a new baby) had the same combo and I loved it. 10 years and 3 kids later and we are still using that chair and nursing stool :D I think mine came from Medela.

Consider setting some money aside to help pay for a lactation consultant if she needs one after the baby comes. I paid $70 for a consult with my first and it was probably the best-spent money of all the money I've spent on my kids. I nursed him for 18 months, and his 2 sisters for 2 years each, and I never bought formula for them. I've never added it up, but I'm sure the savings would be staggering. And I agree that Lansinoh pads are the last word in disposable nursing pads :D

As far as carriers--I love my ring sling a lot. A Moby Wrap was nice to have with a newborn, but it's kind of a pain to get in and out of, so I didn't find it helpful when I was running around town doing errands and getting in and out of the car all the time--the ring sling was faster and easier to get the baby in and out of. If you can swing the cost, consider an Ergo or a Beco carrier. They can be used from newborn up to 40-ish lbs (the Ergo requires an infant insert that is sold seperately, Beco's is included). They're also a little more 'daddy-friendly' if baby's dad is willing to wear the baby. DH will wear our 25-lb 2 yo in the Ergo when we go places where we want to keep her contained.

Edited by LemonPie
adding links

I'm just joining in the chorus of "look at cloth diapers" they have come a looooong way in the last few years, they are not the same cloth diapers of 10 years ago. And I found we had less diaper blow outs with them, meaning less clothes changes too.

Anyway, my list is fairly simple:

Onesies or gowns (my preference is gowns, but I'm willing to admit I'm odd)

Underclothes

Hats

Socks

Receiving blankets

Warm wraps

Muslin wraps and wipes (for bottoms and baths)

Carseat

Something to sleep in (cot, basinnet etc)

A good book on breastfeeding, breast pads for leakage, a nice water bottle to use to drink out of

A nice book to read in the looong hours of initially establishing breastfeeding.

Everything else was superfluous to requirements for me.

for a winter babe:

tons of hats

dozen gowns

couple dozen feeted outfits

baby grooming kit

a few blankets

3 dozen chinese prefolds, 1 dozen covers, 3 snappis- 4 dozen baby washclothes for wipes

mama milkies

a baby carrier- moby is good for the smallest babe and then my fav- easiest is an ergo

carseat

These slings are amazing quality, and the best prices I've ever found. And, they ship VERY quickly and you can pick your fabric. Because she is in Texas I'd look for something that will be cooler or more breathable.

http://www.sleepingbaby.net

I almost forgot, look into a Doula for her, many do labor AND postpartum...where they come to the house and help with laundry, food, breastfeeding help, etc....a great service. A labor one would help avoid a c-section too, the stats show that it drops the rate of surgical birth by 50%. There are even student doulas at a discount.