Menu

Forgetting Phonics in OPGTR?

Classically Minded

We are nearing the end of the OPGTR and dd has been reading well but in the past month she is forgetting things from 30 or so lessons before. She is forgetting a lot of the vowel blends (ou, ea, ai, etc) and then the silent gh and more.

Is this normal? I went back and tried reviewing but she still forgets them later on. Not sure what to do or if this is something she just has to keep practicing while reading books and then it will be easier for her. :confused:

To add: Do you think adding in something like "Explode the Code" would help? If so, should I start with the first one or what? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Classically Minded

My daughter, now 6, finished OPGTR last November. But I found that she also forgot various patterns, even basic silent e/long vowel patterns. So late last spring, we started what I called "blitz phonics." I just had her read the lessons through (beginning with the short a lessons), as many as we could do in about 5 minutes. (Towards the end, I required 4 or 5 pages, regardless of how long that took, because she dilly-dallied.) So basically over the summer and through September, we reviewed the whole book. It seems to have helped.

I just had her read the lessons through (beginning with the short a lessons), as many as we could do in about 5 minutes. (Towards the end, I required 4 or 5 pages, regardless of how long that took, because she dilly-dallied.)

We have been doing this a lot - I've been going back and having her read the words and then I think she has it and then a week or so later, she forgets again lol. I will keep at it and hopefully it will stick soon......

Flashcards.

Practice the sounds a few times a day in isolation.

It takes a while for these things to stick. Also, spelling a few simple words with these sounds help them stick in the brain better.

If you don't want to make your own cards, a nice set that comes with some spelling rules, a nice poster, and is correlated with "The ABCs and All Their Tricks" is Phonics Made Plain by Mike Brunner.

http://www.amazon.com/Phonics-Made-Plain-Chart-Flashcards/dp/0880621486/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289515174&sr=8-1

I found that just practicing - in OPGTR and with early-reader books is just what it takes. Sometimes actual books instead of OPGTR are more fun & can make things stick better. Just make sure she is reading aloud to you on a regular basis and reminding her of the phonics rule when she gets stuck or reads something wrong. All the different combos are a lot to remember at 7!