Menu

Teaching Mapping as outlined in The Core by Leigh Bortins

quetzal

Is anyone teaching geography through mapping the way Leigh Bortins outlines it in the The Core? I'm interested in her suggestions, but I'd like to know how it works out in practice. Are there particular atlases or materials that make this easier? Does anyone teach their children to draw maps of the world using another method?

While I've heard of the book, I haven't read it, so I'm not familar with the method. I do have my dss draw maps of particular regions/continents frequently. We use the National Geographic World Atlas for Young Explorers. I simply choose a continent, open the book, and have them copy it. We focus on either a political or geographic map. We also use Geo Puzzles, Sheppards software, and memory chants we make up.

Since your kiddo is rather young, I'd start with a really simple map the focuses on only the continents and oceans. Here's a more appropriate atlas for you: http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Internet-Linked-First-Atlas/dp/0746053452/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289436459&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=geo+puzzle&sprefix=geo+puzzle

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-World-Atlas-Explorers/dp/1426300883/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289436214&sr=8-1

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/web_games.htm

Thank you Stacy for outlining what you do with for mapping. The atlas recommendation is especially helpful.

Leigh Bortins recommends starting with children as young as kindergarten by having them draw continent "blobs" on a simple grid--the basic shape and position of the continents, without worrying about details. Once that is mastered you can work on more accurate shapes and on drawing regional maps. She suggests working on one region/continent each year (for small children) or working at a faster pace for older ones.

I've also seen a book called "Mapping the World with Art" that looks interesting. Has anyone used it?

We completed most of Mapping the World with Art by Ellen McHenry last year. It was a terrific program, incorporating detailed map drawing with relevant history lessons. I would recommend it for children 10 years and older; I'd say to really benefit from it 12 years and older.

I definately agree with just drawing maps, first simply then with more detail. It's worked for us.

Is anyone teaching geography through mapping the way Leigh Bortins outlines it in the The Core? I'm interested in her suggestions, but I'd like to know how it works out in practice. Are there particular atlases or materials that make this easier? Does anyone teach their children to draw maps of the world using another method?

I read The Core while traveling to go see new the new grandbaby, and the geography chapter was my favorite part of the book. As soon as I got home, I tried it with my girls. We just jumped in and did it as she describes, one lesson at a time, and the girls think it's fun. I love the simplicity of it, and I do think it will be effective. So far, we've just done the continents and oceans and latitude lines. It's not been hard or time consuming at all. We're ready to start South America next.

I've been using this for models because we already had some lying around the house.

http://www.amazon.com/Geography-Coloring-Book-Wynn-Kapit/dp/0131014722/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289610863&sr=8-1

ETA: The maps in this book are exactly the same size as a sheet of paper (8 1/2 x 11) which makes it easier to use than a large atlas.

Edited by Luann in ID

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Thank you Stacy for outlining what you do with for mapping. The atlas recommendation is especially helpful.

Leigh Bortins recommends starting with children as young as kindergarten by having them draw continent "blobs" on a simple grid--the basic shape and position of the continents, without worrying about details. Once that is mastered you can work on more accurate shapes and on drawing regional maps. She suggests working on one region/continent each year (for small children) or working at a faster pace for older ones.

I've also seen a book called "Mapping the World with Art" that looks interesting. Has anyone used it?

Did you see Mapping the World by Heart. This has lots of activities aimed at younger kids.