Menu

If you own your own business website; question re: accepting credit cards

My dh is about to start a website for his business, he'll be offering a Paypal option, but we're unclear how to accept credit card charges.

Is there a particular company that offers this that you can recommend?

Would dh be billed monthly, or does a percentage come from every charge (or both)?

Thanks for any help you can give!

We use Authorizenet as our payment gateway and Costco business services as our merchant account processor. If you Google 'payment gateway services' or 'merchant account' you can probably find a lot of options and directions for setting them up. We don't do a whole lot of CC transactions - probably less than 20 per month. We have a handful of electronic check (eCheck) transactions, as well.

It's been awhile, now, but I think we got all the applications for accounts right off the web.

I just use Paypal - the professional version, and it takes nothing to set it up. They take out a percentage from each transaction. It's not cheap, but my credit card transactions are few and far between (most everyone uses regular paypal), so I don't mind, and I'm not paying out the excess monthly fees to gateway services.

But if you're transactions are going to be primarily credit card, etc., I'd definitely use a good service- I've heard good things about Authorizenet.

Just FYI - you can accept credit/debit cards through regular PayPal (free version - only takes a % of your sale) too - but it is not as efficient a checkout process as Paypal Pro ($30 a month and a % of sale). I like PayPal because all the security is done on their end - you don't have to worry about a SSL or anything like that. And depending on what kind of website you have (like I use joomla) you can get extensions to make PayPal ever more efficient and professional.