Menu

Sequential Spelling

Has anyone had success with Sequential Spelling and a child that came out of ps spelling phonetically even though they get all the spelling "tests" perfect. My dd9 can not spell in context. She can do spelling tests all day and not miss them, but she doesn't seem to retain them with the spelling we have used prior to now.

I gave both dd9 and dd10 the placement test for Sequential Spelling this morning. dd9 tested in at Level 1 Lesson 121, but I think I am going to do all of level 1 instead.

I could really use to hear some reviews on how it works for those that seriously can not spell when they write. Thanks.

I use Sequential Spelling with my dc and it has worked well.

They have never been to PS, so I can't make a comment on comparing the curriculums.

Ds1 is a natural speller.

Ds2 is not. When he first started with spelling I told my dh that he can't spell and I don't think he will ever be able to spell. He has turned out to be a fairly good speller.

I am very pleased with the program.

dd10 and dd9 are totally different when it comes to spelling skills. dd10 tested in at level 3 while dd9 tested in at level 1, but I am very hopeful that it is what I am looking for and it can be passed down to the other two.

I do have the fear that no matter what I buy and try that dd9 will never be able to spell well.

My DS7 is doing well with sequential spelling 1. I think the way they introduce word families has worked for him. He is a natural speller though, so that may be part of it.

I like how it has things like homophones, heteronyms, contractions, names (capitalization), etc...so you can use that opportunity to explain further. You can slip a little bit of grammar in, too. :001_smile:

While looking through the book it just made a lot of sense to me, so I decided to go with it! So far, so good.