Menu

Do I get an LA program for 6 yr old?

CrunchyMand

My son is starting to read, he is 6 just turned. Do I need a LA program with him or do I wait for next year when he would officially be first grade?

I was thinking either LLATL Blue or FLL1, thought he might like the sticking and pasting of the blue level, but I was worried it would be too easy for him if we start next year as he will have mastered his reading by then.

WHat does a 6 yr old need for LA?

with my son, he is currently learning to read with CLE, which includes some handwriting & spelling too. additionally, he uses first language lessons, which is totally gentle and perfect for him. i also do narration & dictation with him (usually dictation comes from his CLE books & narration comes from our family devotion time). we do own WWE & AAS as well, but they aren't consistently used right now.

ETA - oh...i just realized he's not in grade 1 yet. i'm sorry. in that case, i would probably just wait on buying something, unless you just really feel like he needs it now.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

We are doing LLATL red with my ds7 almost 8. I didn't know about it last year or we might would have tried blue. I personally like it a lot. We have also used FLL1/2 through lesson 50 last year for 1st.

I personally like LLATL better. It feels a little less redundant and my ds seems to really like the activities whereas with FLL he got to the point that he did not want to keep talking about nouns through 40 lessons.

I have not used the blue, but I like LLATL Red a lot better than the FLL 1/2.

My son is starting to read, he is 6 just turned. Do I need a LA program with him or do I wait for next year when he would officially be first grade?

Depends on what you mean by "language arts."

I was thinking either LLATL Blue or FLL1, thought he might like the sticking and pasting of the blue level, but I was worried it would be too easy for him if we start next year as he will have mastered his reading by then.

WHat does a 6 yr old need for LA?

I don't believe in "language arts." :D But a 6yo can be learning to read, beginning to write simple sentences, and start learning simple grammar terms like noun, pronoun and verb.

In any case, there's no reason to wait until next fall to do anything if you think he's ready now.