Menu

S/O TSA thread...

I realize that the other thread was closed so what I am posting now is informational only and is not intended to re-kindle any kind of terrorist profiling argument. I just think people should have a better understanding of what is really going on.

It seemed to me that what people don't understand is that the full body scans and more intense pat down searches are only if you set off the metal detector. So, don't wear anything that is going to set off the detector, like an underwire bra...I got the impression that some people thought you were just "randomly" chosen by TSA agents. Now at somepoint there will be a random, computer selecting of people, but not anytime in the near future. The body scans only show a profile, like a silhouette, no detail. Also, not all airports have the new scanners and therefore the pat downs are a requirement, especially if you have a pacemaker.

Find out what your passenger rights are and exercise them. You can ask for a curtained room so you aren't being searched in front of everyone, you can also ask for a supervisor to do it. I completely understand that the new search, from how it was described to me, can be humilating and embarrasing, but please keep don't take it out on the TSA agents. Imagine how they feel...I can assure you my mom finds no joy in making little old ladies cry and grown men hyperventilate.

My husband just flew home from the mainland a few days ago. The Airport he went through in VA was randomly putting every 3-5 people in line through a full body scanner.

According to my mom it's not supposed to be like that. Maybe cuz it's a bigger airport? I specifically asked her, are people supposed to be randomly checked, and she said no.

I don't think you can make generalized statements about it.

You're right, perhaps it is generalized, and we can each only go by the experience of each other. I suppose there will always be people who do it their own way, not how it is supposed to be done. I just get a little defensive when I hear people slamming TSA and their procedures and I wanted to get the truth, so I asked her and that's what she said.

I'm not slamming anyone, not the TSA, not the government. I didn't even see the other thread. I am only imparting a simple fact-some airports are doing random checks via full body scans.

I didn't mean you personally, Mrs. Mungo, were slamming the TSA. I was only stating that's why I felt the need to post what I did.

My husband just flew home from the mainland a few days ago. The Airport he went through in VA was randomly putting every 3-5 people in line through a full body scanner.
Similarly, I am always "randomly selected" for the extra screening, even though I never set off the metal detectors. Always. Without fail. I know it is profiling, but I'm ok with it as long as the people doing it are professional about it, and in every case but one they have been.

At several airports around the country, full body scanners ARE being used as primary screening.

It seemed to me that what people don't understand is that the full body scans and more intense pat down searches are only if you set off the metal detector.
Nope, this is not true. It is being used as primary screening at lots of airports.

Now at somepoint there will be a random, computer selecting of people, but not anytime in the near future.
Again, not true. Right now, TSA employees are the ones choosing who goes through the scanner. But the agency's ultimate intention is to repace ALL metal detectors with full body scanners. Everyone will either have to go through the full body scanners, or opt out and submit to an aggressive pat down.

Find out what your passenger rights are and exercise them. You can ask for a curtained room so you aren't being searched in front of everyone
And that is exactly what I will NOT do. If I am going to be patted down, it will be done in public. I am more comfortable with lots of witnesses present. While I'm sure your mother is a sweet woman, not all TSA employees are above abusing their authority.

According to my mom it's not supposed to be like that. Maybe cuz it's a bigger airport? I specifically asked her, are people supposed to be randomly checked, and she said no.
Unfortunately, this is untrue. LunaLee, I think your mom isn't in the loop yet, very possibly because she's at a smaller airport. These machines are being delivered and put into place as fast as they can be manufactured. Once they're operational, they ARE used as primary screening, just as Mrs. Mungo's husband described.

At the airports using them as primary screening, typically only 1 of 4 passengers is going through the full body scanner, while the other 3 are going through the metal detector. The reason for this is because there aren't enough scanners in place yet to get all passengers through them in a timely manner.

In airports using full body scanners, passengers are not able to choose which device they go through; TSA waves you towards one or the other. If you object to full body scanning, you get the aggressive pat down.

Edited by jplain

For more in depth discussion and up-to-date information, you might want to visit the Travel Safety/Security subforum at FlyerTalk.

Here's a first hand account of opting out of the body scanner, recently published in the New York Times: Opt Out of a Body Scan? Then Brace Yourself.

A very funny, but no less alarming account in The Atlantic: For the First Time, the TSA Meets Resistance

From the NYT piece:

Ultimately, the agency plans to have the new machines replace metal detectors at all of the roughly 2,000 airport checkpoints.

On a recent trip to Canada dh and I were randomly selected to go through the full-body scanner. This was O'Hare Airport. We had NOT been through security at all and had NOT set off any alarms. They were funneling some people into the "normal" security lines and some into the scanner lines, and both types of line were full.

Yes, it IS random, routine, and quite frankly, a serious violation of our rights that will not result in safer air travel.

These machines are being delivered and put into place as fast as they can be manufactured. Once they're operational, they ARE used as primary screening, just as Mrs. Mungo's husband described.

At the airports using them as primary screening, typically only 1 of 4 passengers is going through the full body scanner, while the other 3 are going through the metal detector. The reason for this is because there aren't enough scanners in place yet to get all passengers through them in a timely manner.

In airports using full body scanners, passengers are not able to choose which device they go through; TSA waves you towards one or the other. If you object to full body scanning, you get the aggressive pat down.

:iagree: This reflects my experience to a T.

Yes, it IS random, routine, and quite frankly, a serious violation of our rights that will not result in safer air travel.

Regarding whole body scanning, I started out with only health concerns (link and link and link). I'm not a particularly modest person, and couldn't care less who sees me virtually naked.

However, as I read more I realized that not only am I concerned about health risks, but this is a major violation of my rights. I'm happy to see that it is getting media attention, and that legal action has begun (link and link).

Edited by jplain