Menu

Is there a SIMPLE book to help me understand the Middle East-I am clueless! (some CC)

Even a children's or middle school book-something easy. One from a Christian standpoint would be great, if that makes sense, especially in relation to the significance of Israel to Christian biblical events. (Like I started wondering as I read Genesis with dc if the conflict between Christianity and Islam goes back to Isaac and Ishmael. Also interested in potential significance in end times of Israel, etc., as I am simultaneously reading Revelation in my own reading, and the Lord is really guiding me with an interest in how the Middle East is so enmeshed in all this!)

I just read Secret Believers by Brother Andrew and was mesmerized. I am embarrassed to say I don't know anything current and past events about the Middle East and would like to learn about the conflicts especially of Israel, etc. I didn't even know all the reasons for the war in Iraq, when dd10 asked me! :blushing:

I just ordered Middle East for Dummies but something even simpler (or with Christian content) would be better! thank you

I don't know if this counts as 'simple' and it is not a 'christan content' book but I found the book How to Win a Cosmic War: God, Globalization, and the End of the War on Terror By Reza Aslan to be very helpful. It deals more with current conflict but also includes some history. I expected it to be way over my head. Instead, I was so caught up in it, I couldn't put it down.

I started his first book "No God But God" which is the history of Islam but had to return it to the library before I was finished. Again, it was much more accessible than I expected.

Just got done with this! The best resource was a kids' book (middle school) called Understanding the Holy Land : answering questions about the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict / Mitch Frank. ...

It was balanced, imo, and simple. And since nearly everything in the Middle East is connected to what's happening in Israel, it's very helpful.

Another book is the Landmark book on Lawrence of Arabia. That gives insight into other aspects of the Middle East situation. Landmarks are written at a middle school level.