Menu

Suggestions for Online Dyslexia Assessment?

I know that a real-life assessment will be more accurate but I've been curious about some things I've seen in DS over the last several months and would just like to know if there is reason for concern. His reading comprehension is above grade level but his handwriting and spelling are poor and I believe he chooses to construct very simple sentences because of this. He still occasionally reverses letters. He spells phonetically and inconsistently. He gets very frustrated with himself because of the spelling issues. He complains about difficulty seeing when reading but no vision issues were found by the physician. His issues are made worse when it is late in the day or he feels like he is under pressure for time.

We used the Davis program for our son (worked miracles!) and they have a link on their site to a dyslexia test. Ds just went through the therapy a few months ago and we are so pleased with the results. You can see a trained provider (which is what we opted for and pricey), or you can use the book The Gift of Dyslexia and do it yourself. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. You can see photos of some of Indy's therapy on this blog post.

He complains about difficulty seeing when reading but no vision issues were found by the physician. His issues are made worse when it is late in the day or he feels like he is under pressure for time.

My two cents:

Dyslexia is not the only possible LD. Also, some issues (such as differentiating dyslexia from vision) are very, very difficult to discern without professional advice.

If you saw an opthamologist (I'm assuming, because you mentioned physician) for a vision checkup already, and yet he still complains about vision, I'd see an optometrist for a different kind of checkup, specifically an optometrist from www.covd.org. The evaluation is not the same. (FWIW, our pediatric opthamologist found nothing in dd's checkup, but our optometrist found an eye tracking problem, which was obvious even to me once he showed us, and it has since been fixed with VT.)

I'm not sure about the spelling issue, but as far as handwriting goes, I'd separate handwriting from writing by allowing keyboarding and doing a handwriting program apart from that.

I might suspect something along the lines of slow processing speed, which can be present by itself or may be present along with one or more LDs.

Edited by wapiti