Menu

Brittle, paper thin fingernails - help!!!

My fingernails have always been brittle and paper thin. They tear easily so I have always kept them very short. Lately - like the past few months - the problem has gotten worse. Both of my thumbnails and my left pinky constantly split right down the middle. My right thumb has gotten so bad that it is torn down to the sensitive part - you can see the skin underneath - OUCH!!!!

I've tried putting band-aids on these fingers but it gets to be troublesome, especially when I'm doing dishes and laundry all day long. They don't seem to want to stay put for any great length of time.

When I had a job a long while back I got acrylic nails and that worked very well except for two things. The cost and having to always make time to get to the salon. (Not to mention the overwhelming smell of the place).

Anyway, I really cannot afford the acrylic route again and I'm not sure I'd do that even if I could afford it just because of the inconvenience of having to keep them up. I've tried taking vitamins and eating gelatin - nothing changes.

Anyone have any ideas about what I can do to deal with these horrible fingernails.

Oh, and I realize this is relatively minor probelm, but you'd be surprised how much of a role fingernails play in your life - every time I turn around I'm ripping another one or reripping one that's already down to its last bits.

Have you ever tried Hard as Nails? I think you can get it at Wal-Mart for under $5.

Also, I can always tell when my thyroid medicine needs adjusted by 2 symtoms: 1. My hair starts falling out. And 2. My nails get so brittle and thin that if I don't keep them trimmed REALLY short they peel and tear and break on everything.

Yes, I've tried hard as nails - all different kinds (they sell lots of different formulas).

Maybe I need to have my thyroid checked.

There are any number of medical causes for what you describe. I'd probably break down and make an appointment with a dermotologist.

I know fingernail problems are NO fun. My husband has psoriatic arthritis and the number one presenting symptom was pitted, yellowing, thickening, and brittle fingernails (which I know you are not describing). When they split or break it is really painful.

Sometimes we are ruled by the smallest parts of our body.

There are any number of medical causes for what you describe. I'd probably break down and make an appointment with a dermotologist.

I know fingernail problems are NO fun. My husband has psoriatic arthritis and the number one presenting symptom was pitted, yellowing, thickening, and brittle fingernails (which I know you are not describing). When they split or break it is really painful.

Sometimes we are ruled by the smallest parts of our body.

Thanks for your encouraging and understanding words, Daisy. I do feel kind of stupid complaining about my fingernails - but you are right. Oddly, we sometimes are ruled by the smallest parts of our body. I know how annoying a paper cut can be and chapped lips for that matter. None of these things is a crisis for sure, but they slowly chip away at one's patience nevertheless.

How's your calcium level? My mom just got me started on the best calcium. It's actually helped her bone tests....

Well, I had one of those bone density tests done a few years ago (three or four?) and my doctor told me I had the bones of a 25yo woman. (I'm afraid that's all I've got of a 25yo woman, lol.) Anyway, if that's true, then should my fingernails be okay? Can your bone density change drastically in a few years? What is the best calcium, btw? I don't suppose it would hurt to supplement in any case.