Menu

Kindle/Nook question (DRM related)

Has anyone figured out an easy way to get books from one ebook vendor to run on the other's hardware?

If I were to buy a book at B&N, or Kobo, how can I get it to be accepted on the Kindle? I'm not talking free books here, I can transfer those easily, but those annoyingly protected commercial books.

I don't really want to have to buy everyone's hardware just to read ebooks...

Ok, it takes a lot of steps but I got it!

http://drmremove.info/how-to-remove-drm-from-epub.html

First install what the above tell you to install. It will remove the DRM and create an epub file. But that's still not supported by Kindle.

Then install Stanza, or Calibre, and convert the ePub to mobi format. I tried emailing the mobi file, but it didn't work. I had to transfer it to the Kindle via cable. But it's now on my Kindle, and I can open the file and read! Woohoo!

Now can you fill me in on how to get the free ones on my Kindle..............

The Kindle will only read MOBI files. If you find a free one that's already in that file format, you're set.

Let's use Moby Dick. It's available for free here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2701

Click on the download tab, and you will find that the Kindle is already supported. Click on 'Kindle' and save the file to your computer. (it's a good idea to rename it too)

Now you can plug your Kindle into the computer and transfer the file. Or you can set up an email address for your kindle and email the file in via your wi-fi network (if you have one).

Now we just have to hope that removing DRM on your own books remains legal.

Yes definitely! It's so silly anyway. I don't mind having a DRM that stops me from gving the book to someone else. I understand the license does not cover that. But it's silly that it stops me from buying from whomever I want and use it on the hardware I want while respecting the terms of the license.

The Kindle will only read MOBI files. If you find a free one that's already in that file format, you're set.

Let's use Moby Dick. It's available for free here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2701

Click on the download tab, and you will find that the Kindle is already supported. Click on 'Kindle' and save the file to your computer. (it's a good idea to rename it too)

Now you can plug your Kindle into the computer and transfer the file. Or you can set up an email address for your kindle and email the file in via your wi-fi network (if you have one).