Menu

I need any and all ideas for a group of preschoolers....

I've been working at our church daycare in the evening and it's starting to get chilly out, so outside is not always an option (well mainly when it's rainy) I am starting a list of things that can be done inside, musical chairs, duck-duck-goose, puzzles, coloring, playdough are some of the things they already do. Any other ideas? It's anywhere from 10-15 kids at a time.

Thanks,

Phlox

Set up centers.

Dramatic Play--old clothes (sparkly is good), shoes, boots, hats, vests, uniforms, old costumes. Make a rocket ship, a train, a kitchen, a post office, a grocery store--use what you have and let them have at it.

Sensory Bin--Lentils are even better than rice, because they feel silky and interesting. Put in some cups, a pitcher, some spoons, a couple funnels. Or dump in some gold coins or some of those plastic counting bears and let them hunt for treasure.

Playdough--make baseball sized balls of playdough and hide things in them, like plastic animals or marbles or fake jewels, and let them dig them out.

Marble runs are fun--so are cars and a mat with roads drawn on it.

Do an art station--Keep it open-ended--things like collaging on a shape (leaf, church, person, pumpkin, or circle/square/rectangle/triangle), water colors, crayons and markers on interesting shaped paper.

Put out a big puzzle--floor puzzles are fun group activities if you sit with them (positioned so you can see everyone)

Set up a book center by putting out a couple of pillows propped against a corner wall and a basket of books--put a few cover-out so they look attractive.

Try to have at least 2 and a half times the number of children in activities for them to choose. 4 in dramatic play, 2 in sensory, 4 in art, etc.

I'd start with a gathering--everyone sitting down, sing a song, do a finger play, read a quick story, then do a center time. End with a clean up and call everyone back on the rug/into the circle for another song/story/"I'm so glad you came" to wait for their parents.