Menu

Does TOG include lit. guides?

Penny

I'm considering Sonlight again because I'm finding it difficult to both pre-read everything and make a study guide to get my kids really thinking about what they are reading. I'm assuming Sonlight has meaningful questions for discussion. What does TOG offer?

I'm also leaning toward Sonlight because I'm finding that the great books are really what sparks my kids interest, and simply following history doesn't seem to be motivating. Am I missing something? Could I get the best of both worlds with TOG?

Penny

TOG provides literature analysis, discussion and thinking questions, writing assignments, everything you'd need for a comprehensive literature program. I think the question is more how you would use TOG vs. SL, I don't know much about SL's literature program b/c I've never taken a good look at a Instructor Guide other than a quick glance to figure out it would drive me batty.

TOG provides literature analysis, discussion and thinking questions, writing assignments, everything you'd need for a comprehensive literature program. I think the question is more how you would use TOG vs. SL, I don't know much about SL's literature program b/c I've never taken a good look at a Instructor Guide other than a quick glance to figure out it would drive me batty.

Wow! Is there a sample of the discussion and questions? I'll be ordering Year 3 redesigned (Unit 1 due to be released this month. I wonder if it already has been.)

Thanks Jessica. I've read you use it with a LG child. I'll be using it with UG and a LG (who's not too interested right now!)

Penny

I'm considering Sonlight again because I'm finding it difficult to both pre-read everything and make a study guide to get my kids really thinking about what they are reading. I'm assuming Sonlight has meaningful questions for discussion. What does TOG offer?

I'm also leaning toward Sonlight because I'm finding that the great books are really what sparks my kids interest, and simply following history doesn't seem to be motivating. Am I missing something? Could I get the best of both worlds with TOG?

Penny

The study guides for SL...at least in the younger grades were pathetic. There were no worksheets just questions with the answers on them and they were just for you and basically were very light questions without any thinking. TOG has a wide variety of worksheets to go with the literature for each grade and VERY high (college level imo) literature analysis for high school!!! There is absolutely no comparison. I did SL 3, 4, and 5 and TOG is MUCH better on the literature side!

Christine

All years, in the lower grammar level there are the student worksheets which dd7 just finished one about Pocahontas and whether the books was a biography or autobiography, fiction or nonfiction. In the dialectic and rhetoric levels there are discussion questions. I suggest downloading the three week samples and taking a look yourself. http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/explore/index.php

Like I said before, using TOG may be where it'll be wrong for you so it's best to see how it's laid out and understand whether it's a good fit for you.

Wow! Is there a sample of the discussion and questions? I'll be ordering Year 3 redesigned (Unit 1 due to be released this month. I wonder if it already has been.)

Thanks Jessica. I've read you use it with a LG child. I'll be using it with UG and a LG (who's not too interested right now!)

Penny

You can download either of the free three weeks plan you can see everything that is provided.

http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/explore/