Menu

Counting on fingers

Guest TheBugsMom

Guest TheBugsMom

I have dd (5yrs) use unifix cubes when working on her math page, but when we do flash cards she wants to use her fingers. Should I let her or make her do it all in her head for the flash cards? I know she should get these things memorized but since she is still learning the facts is it ok or will it hurt her in the long run? She is starting to memorize a few already.

I'm not a math guru like some here ;), but I don't think I'd worry about it at age 5. I think math facts are really expected to be memorized sometime during second grade? It seems to me that it'd be developmentally appropriate to still add with fingers at 5. My son added with fingers at 5, even though he'd been doing basic addition since he was a young 3. Now in first grade, he's memorizing the math facts and normally doesn't need to count on fingers, though sometimes he will for the upper ones that he doesn't have memorized yet (and he can do a lot of stuff in his head, including some multiplication).

I think the counting with fingers goes away naturally as they memorize the fact.

Guest TheBugsMom

Thanks.

My boys took to math quickly where as dd is slow to get it in her head. On the other hand she started reading and writing at an early age where the boys did not. Personally I don't mind the counting on fingers or with cubes, I figure eventually she will learn with out the aids. I wanted to see what others thought or if it might have some long tern effect. I guess the goal right now is for her to get the concept of addition/subtraction understood.

Because I agree with you that the goal is the "concept", I would not allow finger-counting. I've seen too many early elementary children use it as a habit that they had trouble breaking or that they used to avoid the memorization.

Personally, I would just have her do the flashcards and everything else with the cubes or whatever you use for counters. Last year, I had my first grader do addition problems and flashcards with Cusinaire rods and then after he had done 5 or 6 or so problems, I'd come and look at his "trains" and see how he was doing. I'm a believer in no finger-counting. I wanted my children to "see" the concept in 3D rods or counters before I ever expected them to remember the facts. (My little ones become quite fond of their "counting bears".

Not a math expert, but I have taught 5 kids thru 2nd grade :).

lisaj

Teach her TouchMath. No more fingers. And I would not stress her or you over it. She is only 5. Over time, the facts will become automatic and the fingers will stop.

What math program are you using? I know that in Singapore 1A they stress that the math facts should be known before moving on to other concepts. My son learned addition and subtraction facts through practice on worksheets (Singapore and Math Mammoth), C-rod number bonds, computer games, iphone games, right start card games, sleeping queens card game, etc. I let him use counters as long as he needed but eventually (a few weeks because subtraction facts were more difficult for him), he didn't need them anymore.

I know that even in Singapore 1A, there are concepts that he would not have been able to move past had he not had his facts down. For example: mental math for a problem such as 14 - 8. He would need to automatically know that 10 - 8 = 2 and 2 + 4 = 6. If he did not have these facts down, he would have a very difficult time doing the mental math required in Singapore.

What math program are you using?

that's the first question that came to my mind. i too am using singapore math for my 2nd grader. i used math mammoth last year. both are good and use mental math so the kids don't need to use their fingers. hope that helps.

:)

Guest TheBugsMom

Thanks for the advice. We are using ABeka 1st. It seems there is some who say no and some say no problem. I am having her use the manipilatives for workpages and we went over each math fact seeing the reason behind it using cubes. She really hates working with the cubes because it takes longer then her fingers, but when working with the pages I want her to see why. I will just encourage her to try to get the answer on our fact drills with out her fingers, but not eliminate that crutch if she needs it for some.

I cannot remember how my 3 boys did it at the age of my dd. One is in pre-algebra and two have graduated. My oldest passed the math test to get into the Nuclear Division in the Navy. They are all math brained. I do know I did not stress math facts with them, they just seem to get it all very easily. My dd is not struggling in math but it is not coming naturally like it did with the boys.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Teach her TouchMath. No more fingers. And I would not stress her or you over it. She is only 5. Over time, the facts will become automatic and the fingers will stop.

I disagree. Teaching her touch math will keep her stuck at the counting stage and prevent her from advancing to addition/subtraction, and you won't know it because it won't be obvious like it is with finger counting. I was unable to rid my brain of touch math until I was an adult and started using MUS, and it took a LOT of effort to do so but it has been SOOOOO worth it!!!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
What math program are you using? I know that in Singapore 1A they stress that the math facts should be known before moving on to other concepts. My son learned addition and subtraction facts through practice on worksheets (Singapore and Math Mammoth), C-rod number bonds, computer games, iphone games, right start card games, sleeping queens card game, etc. I let him use counters as long as he needed but eventually (a few weeks because subtraction facts were more difficult for him), he didn't need them anymore.

I know that even in Singapore 1A, there are concepts that he would not have been able to move past had he not had his facts down. For example: mental math for a problem such as 14 - 8. He would need to automatically know that 10 - 8 = 2 and 2 + 4 = 6. If he did not have these facts down, he would have a very difficult time doing the mental math required in Singapore.

I agree. Steve Demme talks about why finger counting is bad in one (maybe more) of the MUS DVD's. My paraphrase is that there are levels to math (counting, addition/subtraction, multiplication/division, exponents) and when the child is using his/her fingers (or touch math) they are counting instead of adding/subtracting. Since each level builds upon the previous a child who continues to count instead of adding/subtracting will have difficulty as they progress through the levels. This happened to my oldest and it was not pretty!!! When we switched to MUS when he was in 6th grade we started in Alpha because he was stuck at finger counting and it was the BEST decision I ever made. I was taught touch math (which I think is EVIL) and it affected me greatly as well. I've been so thankful for MUS because I've learned a great deal and have FINALLY been able to rid myself of touch math.