Menu

After Minimus-Secundus, or Getting Started with Latin?

Catherine

My fourth grader LOVES Minimus, and Latin-go figure. So we are finishing Minimus and I'm reluctant to put out the $$ for the TM for Minimus Secundus. Thinking of Going straight to GSWL, which I used already for his brother, but when he was in fifth grade, not fourth. I've not used Minimus Secundus. Any thoughts?

My fourth grader LOVES Minimus, and Latin-go figure. So we are finishing Minimus and I'm reluctant to put out the $$ for the TM for Minimus Secundus. Thinking of Going straight to GSWL, which I used already for his brother, but when he was in fifth grade, not fourth. I've not used Minimus Secundus. Any thoughts?

Did you use the TM for Minimus? If you didn't just go with Secundus without the TM. If you did use it, the TM for Secundus is more of the same.

Heather

I don't know Latin, but Minimus seems like nothing at all to me. I love it, it is adorable, but it doesn't seem like they learn much. Am I missing something?

As compared to a grammar program? It does feel light, but the point is to get the child reading via immersion. They haven't been taught all the vocab per say but they are still able to pull out the meaning.

Minimus is the pre-curser to Cambridge Latin, which is considered a very strong program, but is again reading focused. My oldest is going to start Cambridge in a few weeks, but I expect in high school she will have to go through a grammar program as well. While I don't know Latin that well, my understanding is the child can become good at reading without really understanding why some parts work they way they do and it can cause problems with finer points in translation. There is actually a whole yahoo group for Cambridge teachers who are dedicated to keeping it grammar strong.

I personally prefer the grammar approach. Lively Latin just made sense to me, and is my choice, but my oldest is a reading gal and prefers the reading approach so off the reading ledge we jump. :D

Heather

We will do Secundus after we finish Minimus (without the TM), but it is a supplement here. I prefer teaching from a grammar/parts-to-whole approach. Actually using Minimus (and I'm going to hope Secundus) alongside Latin for Children is really helping them "see" the Latin as well as understand the why behind Latin (and language in general).