Menu

Wondering how to get started?

Heidi {AK}

I was turned on to WTM and SWB a couple of years ago by a friend HSing with CE. DD was 2 at the time! :) I went ahead and bought WTM and WEM by JW and SWB, and thoroughly enjoyed them. I was on board with doing just 30 mins a day and focusing on reading.

DD is now 4 (dob 7/22/06), and is attending the Christian school where I got a job in the meantime. Before that happened, I stumbled on Five in a Row and had just received the curriculum when I was offered the job.

I still want to HS. I think I will work while we live here in AK (we're military), and when we PCS, we'll start the HSing process.

I like the idea of FIAR, doing the unit study idea with the basis of literature, reviewing a subject a day. You do math, phonics, and HW every day as well, and we'll add Bible.

What else would I need for a CE? I'm thinking the Trivium is where I start. Is there a thread here to walk you through how to start with a K?

FWIW, I also have a 18 month old who will only be 2-1/2 when DD starts K. I know this will make a CE at home interesting!

Also, what do I do now (if anything, teaching is BUSY!!!) to afterschool? Again, links are ok. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the afterschooling forum, although thankful for it.

Hi and welcome!

I haven't used either :tongue_smilie: but I think FIAR and OPGTR are a great plan for K. They are both gentle and would be easy to implement in an afterschool setting. Maybe reread TWTM in the meantime. If I remember right she has a whole section on afterschooling.

Hi, I also wanted to add...make sure you know your homeschooling laws for whatever state applies to you (since you're in the military, I'm wondering if there isn't a special hsing law your family would fall into). Here, in Texas, there is a small list of subjects that we are supposed to teach in our homeschool, but that's pretty much where it ends.

Also, unit studies are awesome, too. Some kids do really well with the unit study approach. (ahem, us - lol) :D

Have fun!! :)

Heidi, I think your plan is wonderful. When we do OPGTR we do it on the white board, on the porch in chalk, with blocks, anything to keep it fun. My son would have lost interest long ago if I worked with him out of the book. We are almost finished now.

We make games out of OPGTR as well, and I just bought a white board last week so we could work that in also. We're only on lesson 14, but my son will be 4 next week. So far, it's working very well, as he's catching onto the letter sounds pretty quickly (and this is a child with speech delay and weird pronunciation that is habit instead of inability to say a sound, still learning to say "milk" instead of "nolk", things like that... and when I presented the letter 'L' today and gave some examples, he said "lahler", which is how he says "water" :tongue_smilie:, but at least he's starting to hear how words begin with letter sounds! :lol:).

So far, we are enjoying OPGTR as long as we make games with the letters we've learned already. Also, I do the review via the games after we do the new letter in the book. That has helped immensely. If I did the review as written, he was "done" before we finished reviewing. He's happy to work through a new letter and then do the review, even if it consists of just laying out all our cards and me saying a sound of a letter and having him pick it out.

I'm not worthy; I'm not worthy! DD is 4 and we did lesson 1 and she YAWNED through it and asked to stop! So, thanks for the tip; I like the white-board idea. My friend's DD did it out of the book, but she is a different kid! :grouphug: :iagree:

I totally agree with using the whiteboard. We used a Magnadoodle sometimes, too. We also enjoyed spelling the words with a movable alphabet.

You might also want to look into math curriculums. DD used Right Start A last year and ds will probably continue with MEP and do level 1.

As far as your 2yo, it will totally depend on your child's personality how that will work out. My youngest (at the time) began the school year last year as a 1 1/2yo and she joined right in. She's 2 1/2yo now and still wants to be included, and is starting to ask for her own work. You never know!

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

Ok, I am a little confused. I think I'm going to have to work quickly through the book to see where DD rightfully needs to start. She knows all of her phonetic alphabet, and knows the letters too. HW is a different story; she's getting warmer to actually start writing letters out.

So, recognition's there, and I think we're ready to sound out words. She was pretty put out by going through the vowel poem yesterday, lol!

We have a Magnadoodle and a white board. Where does HW fit into phonetic recognition?