Menu

GRE - anybody taken the computerized version?

I need to retake the GRE. It's been 17 years since I first sat for the exam and it was pencil and paper back then. Now I have to go to a testing center and take a 4 hour computerized version. I am a little nervous about it but am happy with the quick turn around in receiving scores.

If you have taken the computerized version can you share any test taking tips?

I also took the computerized GRE version. I thought it was fine. Isn't it supposed to be a little faster? My sister took the paper and pencil version and her scores were a lot lower than mine. (Although she did end up going to law school and I've been unemployed for years :tongue_smilie:). :lol:

I took it, but it was 6 years ago now. Make sure to do well on the FIRST 5-10 questions as this sets up your question bank and will determine the highest score you can get. It is heavily weighted at the beginning, if you miss the questions get easier and your score goes down.

I was in an undergraduate research class for one summer in undergrad (obviously) and we had a GRE testing expert come in to teach us how to take the computer version.

I studied for two weeks and got the score I needed - so it worked for me.

My friend took it with me (he never had the class I did) and he had to retake it. Today, he's a veterinarian in Europe, and while I have a Masters in Toxicology, he is definitely the "smarter" person, yet my "tips" got me the score I needed first time out. :001_smile:

Thanks for the advice.

I don't have any specific questions about the test. I am a little anxious to be taking it at my age. When I took it the first time, 18 years ago, I rocked the score. I hope I do as well this time around.

You'll probably do even better this time. ;)

Good luck!