Menu

Is Johnny Tremain okay for a 3rd grader?

Ali in OR

Planning for next year and I'm wondering if we should get this for a read aloud or wait until next cycle. Dd will be 8, loves history, loves reading and read alouds and has done well with most everything I've thrown at her. But I think I've read some people wait on this one. Thanks for your input.

Our nine year old boy loved it. He is really quite sensitive and hates sad endings but he coped fine and had no trouble following it, and was really excited by it. I would actually say it is quite a good introduction, at that age to a more serious novel.

I would certainly recommend it as a read aloud however at this age so that you can discuss things as you go along

I'd recommend it as a read-aloud, so that you are aware of issues and can discuss them. My boys were in 4th, 2nd and K when we read it, and they all really enjoyed it.

Just know that people get seriously hurt, and there aren't any fairy tale endings. Things aren't "fair" and that is the one thing my kindergartner struggled with. He didn't like Johnny being accused of stealing things that were his.

But I would go for it :)

Debra

Mom of five, ages 1-10