Menu

Cycling enthusiasts: help with glove choice?

I'd like to get my dh some cycling (bicycling, not motorcycling) gloves for Christmas... yes I'm shopping early. ;) He's really into the sport, with a brutally expensive bike, special shoes, spandex shorts, et al. I found an old Christmas list in which he asked for cycling gloves with gel in the palms. He still needs a new pair, so I'd like to get them for him. I don't know anything about the top names or brands, so can anyone point me in the right direction? If I go to a sporting store, I'm afraid they'll just sell me the most expensive item, which isn't always the best. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance!

I'd like to get my dh some cycling (bicycling, not motorcycling) gloves for Christmas... yes I'm shopping early. ;) He's really into the sport, with a brutally expensive bike, special shoes, spandex shorts, et al. I found an old Christmas list in which he asked for cycling gloves with gel in the palms. He still needs a new pair, so I'd like to get them for him. I don't know anything about the top names or brands, so can anyone point me in the right direction? If I go to a sporting store, I'm afraid they'll just sell me the most expensive item, which isn't always the best. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance!

That's a tough one, especially if he's that serious already. I would recommend a gift certificate to his favorite local bike shop (LBS). Depending on how good the LBS, they may or may not have a great selection. I would think that $50 would cover just about any gloves that are available at most shops.

There are several good online retailers that specialize in cycling gear. You could see a better selection there, but can't try them on like you could in the LBS.

Here are some links to the online shops.

Nashbar

Performance Cycling

Jenson

Niagara Cycling Works

I went through 2 or 3 pairs before I found some I really liked. I ended up with some from Spenco that are gel. However, a lot of the manufacturers make them with gel. Specialized is a company that makes bikes and a lot of accessories including clothing and gloves. They make a line of clothing called Body Geometry. I had a pair of BG gloves that were ok, but not as good as the Spenco that I got next.

I hope this helps some. Whatever you get, make sure it's something he can take back or exchange.

• 2 months later...