Menu

How to know when to use me or I

Ok, How do I know, if both sound correct which is right? What are the rules?

My brother weighed more then me.

My brother weighed more then my sister or I.

My son is wailing that he is finally remembering to say "Sister and I", now I'm changing the rules.

WEll as a subject it is my sister and I, but at the end of the sentence it's not? What's the rule?

Here is one of a lot of websites that discuss the grammar rules about this. There are probably sites you'd like better -- I just liked the site name, blog name, or whatever it is: Grammar Girl.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/between-you-and-me.aspx

Google rule for using I and me .

You can turn sentences around to see if they still sound correct. This usually works, although there may be exceptions. Of course, bad grammar can sound as though it were correct. This is why it is important that parents speak proper grammar and that kids read books that contain proper grammar, so the kids internalize correct grammar. Even with that, kids can still grow up saying "I seen him yesterday" because it is colloquial improper grammar, unless someone continually corrects the child. I hear a lot of "I seen" in my extended family, and it is normal (and sounds correct to them) for their area and socioeconomic class, even though some of them are college-educated now.

My brother weighed more than me. Me weighed more than my brother. Wrong! I weighed more than my brother. Right! Therefore, my brother weighed more than I is correct.

This is her. Her is this. Wrong! This is she. She is this. Right! Therefore this is she is correct.

Sam and me went to the store. Me went to the store. Wrong! I went to the store. Right! Therefore, Sam and I went to the store is correct.

Will you help my brother and I? Will you help I? Wrong! Will you help me? Right! Therefore, will you help my brother and me is correct.

Edited by RoughCollie

You use "me" when it's the direct object of the sentence or the object of the preposition. Like you mentioned, you use "I" when it's the subject.

Sometimes it sounds a little weird to actually use me especially when it's a compound object of the preposition...like Jill went to the ball game with Bob and me. Many people will think it should be "Bob and I" but not when it follows a preposition.

Ok, How do I know, if both sound correct which is right? What are the rules?

My brother weighed more then me.

My brother weighed more then my sister or I.

My son is wailing that he is finally remembering to say "Sister and I", now I'm changing the rules.

WEll as a subject it is my sister and I, but at the end of the sentence it's not? What's the rule?

I have to mentally finish the sentence. My brother weighed more than my sister or I did. You wouldn't say "me did"

And it is never myself as an object.

You use "me" when it's the direct object of the sentence or the object of the preposition. Like you mentioned, you use "I" when it's the subject.

Sometimes it sounds a little weird to actually use me especially when it's a compound object of the preposition...like Jill went to the ball game with Bob and me. Many people will think it should be "Bob and I" but not when it follows a preposition.

:iagree::iagree:

This is how I remember it. Homeschooling for 23 years has taught me grammar...and many other things!

Ds had written "My brother weighed more then my sister and I." He erased me and wrote I on top, so he really thought it through. Then my dh read it, thought it should be me and almost convinced me that he was right. That's when I posted. I got confused. I think I have it down now. Thanks everyone.