Menu

help me make beef stew, please!

This is not one of my specialties, I've only made it a few times. Here's the deal... I made turkey bacon for breakfast and wanted to go ahead and start the stew to throw in the crockpot. I used the same skillet for the floured beef, and have added the water and seasoning to simmer. I always just follow the packet directions since I don't make this often, and it says to let it simmer covered for an hour, then add vegetables for another hour. If I'm using a crockpot, can I just throw it all in now with the same results? Or is the first hour important for the beef?

To make beef stew, or any beef, in a crock pot, it is best to brown it first. For beef stew, dredge the pieces in flour and brown them, then put them in the crock pot. The flour aids in thickening the stew, the browning adds flavor, and the extra cooking on the stove past the browned stage adds nothing. If you add chopped onions, it is nice, but not necessary, to brown them when you brown the beef. I put the seasonings and veggies in the crock pot when I add the beef to it.

I add 1/2 the water to the crock pot that is called for. If you are making one recipe (rather than doubling or tripling it), don't do that the first time, because if the gravy part of the stew ends up too thin, you can correct that. Meanwhile, you will learn for next time whether the amount of water you use is perfect. I use tons of veggies and 1/2 the beef when I make stew, and veggies tend to lose water and make the gravy too thin for my preference.

When I make beef stew in the crock pot, I use extra flour (I sprinkle it over the beef after it has browned and been put in the crock pot) to thicken the stew more. I add the veggies and water, mix it all up, and set it to cooking.

After it is cooked, if the liquid is not thick enough for me, I leave the crock pot set on high, stir in cornstarch mixed with cold water (just enough to be able to pour the mixture), and let it cook for 30-60 minutes longer so as to thicken the gravy more. That has not happened since I started sprinkling extra flour over the beef after I put the beef into the crock pot. I've been doing that for 35 years with no bad results in either appearance or flavor. I can't give you any measurements because I cook by feel (I get a feeling I am using the right amount) and don't measure anything unless I am trying a new recipe. This is because I am old and have been cooking since I was a kid, not because I am a food whisperer.

It is not necessary to brown any beef before it goes into the crock pot, unless it is ground beef. I tried that a couple of weeks ago when I was home from work only long enough to throw a roast into the crock pot, and I did not like the results. The roast looked unappetizing to me. It was cooked, though, and I poured gravy over it to conceal the grayish appearance. I didn't like the taste, but that was likely psychological because I knew it was grayish looking beef and everyone happily ate it.

Edited by RoughCollie

To make beef stew, or any beef, in a crock pot, it is best to brown it first. For beef stew, dredge the pieces in flour and brown them, then put them in the crock pot.

The flour aids in thickening the stew, the browning adds flavor, and the extra cooking on the stove past the browned stage adds nothing.

I add the veggies with the beef because it will be stew, after all. If the veggies get too soft, it doesn't matter, because they will not be served separated from the stew.

It is not necessary to brown beef before it goes into the crock pot, unless it is ground beef. I tried that a couple of weeks ago, and I did not like the results. The roast looked unappetizing to me.

When I make beef stew in the crock pot, I use extra flour (I sprinkle it over the beef after it has browned, to thicken the stew more. When it is cooked, if the liquid is not thick enough for me, I leave the crock pot set on high, stir in cornstarch mixed with cold water (just enough to be able to pour the mixture), and let it cook for 30-60 minutes longer so as to thicken the gravy more. I am mentioning this because crock pot contents tend to lose their water -- especially veggies. They don't turn out dehydrated or anything, but the stew can end up watery if you don't take steps.

Exactly what I needed to know, thank you!