Menu

HOD--can this work for us?

sbgrace

Heart of Dakota uses many old texts for history as do many other quality history based programs. I own Little Hearts. I purchased all the Beyond texts and I previewed what I could online and via the library from the texts for the next two levels. It seemed that sometimes the viewpoint from the time period of the writer colors the presentation in a way that makes me uncomfortable (say the portrayal of Native Americans either directly or indirectly in terms of the choices of what stories to highlight). I know that many of the books HOD uses are also used in other very strong programs and I'm well aware that the choices are limited so this is not a criticism of HOD specifically. I imagine based on lots of looking I would have similar issues with most curriculum.

Her style fits my kids wonderfully as my kids need the CM type pacing and hands on/active stuff. I would love to continue using her programs except I'm just plain uncomfortable with some of the content of the spines or perspective. Further, we're Christian but more from an Armenian perspective and, at least in the case of Little Hearts, I felt there was a Reformed type bent in the church history portion specifically. I know this isn't popular in some churches and circles but I'm a Christian and believe God created the earth but I'm not young earth and I know HOD (and it seems every Christian curriculum out there at least in the history area) is young earth.

I really want to use HOD. I'm planning my own history right now and I don't want to do that type of work load indefinitely. I love her literature and her structure and planning fits us wonderfully. I would like this to work for me.

Does anyone who has used HOD have similar reservations about some older texts or anything and you've figured out a way to either be ok with it or make it work?

Is there a way to make this work or am I making assumptions that aren't true/these won't be issues anyway? Is the more reformed perspective (right?) or young earth going to be a major issue in any of the curriculum? I'm more than willing to purchase some supplementary material or do some tweaking if it will help this work for us because putting it all together from scratch is taking so much of my time. I enjoy it but I'll burn out well before we get to third grade at this rate.

Help? Thoughts?

Edited by sbgrace

Guest aquiverfull

I'm going to bump you because I'm interested in the answers you get as well. I'm United Pentecostal which is not mainstream and our beliefs are quite different from other Christians. I love the look of HOD but I'm particularly concerned about some of the spines and wonder if it would take too much tweaking on my part because the religion is so closely tied to everything in the program. I want something biblically based. I want a rich Christ centered study in our home and doing it all myself is quite difficult for me.

I have often wondered if I could alternate spines and if that would actually work or not. I can't quit looking at HOD and MFW. They both have the rich biblical integration I want so I've been considering their programs for my younger girls. But often wonder if it will really work for us.

I've done most of Little Hearts, and I understand what your concerns are about some of the spines. There were a couple of inaccuracies in the Little Pilgrims book that grated on me, but since I was reading out loud, I was able to modify on the fly. Another area that bothers me--it seems like much of the history stuff that's out there from the Christian perspective (at least from certain publishers) seems very Confederacy-friendly and doesn't present slavery in a strong enough light (along the lines of, "Yes, slavery was bad, but wasn't Robert E. Lee a great man?"). That was another area that needed some modification in Little Hearts (IMO).

That said, if you really like HOD, I think you could tweak/modify it easily enough to work for you. It would probably take some searching to find other spines to use alongside or in place of some of the ones in the program, though.

Something else to check out--someone posted about Trail Guide to Learning: Paths of Exploration the other day. I don't know much about it, but someone said it was similar to HOD as far as activities, etc. but not explicitly Christian. I think it's for older grades, though--3rd thru 5th.

Guest aquiverfull

Yes, I'm actually using Trail Guide to Learning: Paths of Exploration. I really like it, but I feel like it isn't exactly what I'm looking for as far as the Bible integration. Many of the readers come from a Christian Perspective, and I'm sure that some people would not be happy with the Columbus book. It portays Columbus as the Christ-Bearer coming to save the savages. I think some people would appreciate something more neutral.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I am doing Preparing and it is really YE. All of the Masters books will be YE. The CTC will be YE too, and so will the science in CTC.

I think you would have to cut out too much if you don't want to read things that are YE.

Having all of history planned out is very appealing to me as well but I don't exactly care for the options either. We are Catholic and not personally young earthers either. Also, don't care for a lot of fund. Prot writing either(obviously). I am considering doing a sec program perhaps next year.

You're right to realize that the spine in Little Hearts comes from a Reformed perspective. Christian Liberty Press has more of a Reformed perspective in all their materials. As for the older spines, like the Eggleston books used in Bigger. I've been pleasantly surprised that the material is presented in an unbiased way. He talked positively of indians but also didn't make them out to be victims. He states that Columbus made mistakes, etc. I really believe those Eggleston books are far more accurate than any modern, revised history book you'll find on American History.

HOD doesn't add any doctrinal teaching to their Bible teaching. They leave that up to the users. MFW is the same way. Story of the Ancient world is very neutral in its account, as well, imo. If you think HOD fits your children, give it a try. You can always tell your children your differences in belief when you come to those points you don't agree with.

I am not Protestant, but I do enjoy HOD and I am tweaking it. To me, it is worth it. FWIW, I am using CtoC, and finding it wonderful. Little Hearts I could not take, because of that History for Little Pilgrims book, which made up so much of the year- it was the only history text and I could not use it at all.

I am doing Preparing and it is really YE. All of the Masters books will be YE. The CTC will be YE too, and so will the science in CTC.

I think you would have to cut out too much if you don't want to read things that are YE.

I didn't realize this. I'm not YE. To me, it really doesn't matter if the earth is young or old; only the fact that God made the earth is important.

Is YE constantly pounded into the dc's head or is it something that only comes up once or twice?

I'm YE, Armenian and Preterist. Try tweaking all of that out of a regular Christian Curriculum!:lol:

To me, it really doesn't matter if the earth is young or old; only the fact that God made the earth is important.

In CtoC, the first week mentions that if you are not of the YE thinking, you may want to omit the date here. So far, it has only come up once. I am finding the more recent guides to be more friendly to differing Christian viewpoints.

The Apologia Land Animals science text is something I am really enjoying. That is the place you would have most problems I think. Their thinking doesn't quite jive with mine, but I like it so much for so many other reasons that I even am using that.