Menu

analyzing meter in poetry

Kuovonne

DD and I have been doing MCT's Music of the Hemispheres and we recently finished the chapter on poetic meter. I taught DD how to tap out the meter of a poem on her fingers, and she enjoys discovering the meter of a poem as much as I do.

(Now DD knows what meter is, I'm really hoping that she'll attempt to use it in her own poetry.)

Does anyone else like analyzing the meter of a poem, or are we just weird?

Edited by Kuovonne

Poetry fans here too. My girls beg for poetry at night. They have memorized most of these poems in this book: A Child's Introduction to Poetry. It comes with a brilliant compilation of poems read in a way that kids love. Your dds would love it. :)

Andrew Pudewa's poetry collection is wonderful also. He's delightful.

Anywho, We've been tapping/clapping out the meter to our hymns as we write them for copywork. Last week: Amazing Grace. I think they get it.

Edited by Beth in SW WA
typo

DD and I have been doing MCT's Music of the Hemispheres and we recently finished the chapter on poetic meter. I taught DD how to tap out the meter of a poem on her fingers, and she enjoys discovering the meter of a poem as much as I do.

(Now DD knows what meter is, I'm really hoping that she'll attempt to use it in her own poetry.)

Does anyone else like analyzing the meter of a poem, or are we just weird?

Love it! I never was a poetry fan till dd did CW Poetry and we learned about rhyme scheme, meter, stresses and breves, ect.... I am so concrete and logical that poetry seemed like a mystery. Now that I know it has its own set of rules, it is much more enjoyable now. :D

Heather

Love it! I never was a poetry fan till dd did CW Poetry and we learned about rhyme scheme, meter, stresses and breves, ect.... I am so concrete and logical that poetry seemed like a mystery. Now that I know it has its own set of rules, it is much more enjoyable now. :D

Heather

I so wish I didn't sell my CW Poetry. :tongue_smilie:

We do it too, but mostly for classics, since it's pretty much impossible to read classical poetry without the metrical component.

So far we haven't delved into it too much, we only covered the basics (hexameters & combined with pentameters, like in Ovid's Tristia), but I do plan on teaching metrics as a special unit in a year or two, when they're able to follow it in Greek too, not only in Latin.