Menu

College Early?

lakotajm

I am curious about how one enters college at an early age. You hear about the kid who started at Harvard at age 11, or something. But how?

My oldest is interested in faster-paced learning and also wanting more specialized classes and tutoring that would be available at the University level. She will soon be 14. But when I look at local colleges, they all say stuff like you need your GED, etc. which you can't even take until you are 16 1/2. So how do those famous cases sidestep this? Also, does the age thing disqualify one for federal/state grants, scholarships, etc.? Anyone know more about this or a web site that can answer these questions?

Lakota

I started going to my local community college when I was 15. I still had a year till graduation, but the college allowed me to take classes that would be mandatory for my (eventual) major. At the time, the charter school I was attending paid the way for me. So, I guess that doesn't help you too much, but I have a friend who hs all 8 of her kids, and they all graduated early and went to the local community college. They're not hoighty-toighty, super well-off folks, so they probably got financial help. I'll PM you her email address...

On the topic of these amazing prodigies... Well, they probably start taking high school level AP classes, applying to colleges early, sending along very well done research papers (in the field they're interested in), plus a video to go along with it. If your dd is serious about it, you might want to take a trip to some of the colleges that she would like to go to. Call ahead, and schedule a time when you can meet with the administrators/dean, and get a tour of the campus. That would be a good start...

Okay, PMing you Amazing Mom of 8's email.

I dont think of mine as super early, but I guess she is semi early.

Age is not an issue when it comes to money, or colleges caring that much.

She got accepted to all she applied to and received 90 percent tuition paid for.

Mind you, the college she attends does check up on her, to make sure she is adapting well.

She loves college and is doing great. Noone really guesses how old she is, they all look around the same age.

Some colleges have special programs for young students without high school diplomas.

University of Washington has one.

The one I went to, The Clarkson School, is usually attended by students after their junior year of high school; however, there was a student who had entered at 14 and was completing his four year degree at 18 in attendance while I was there.

You could also apply young to regular programs as an above poster suggested if you had test scores to back up your assertions of readiness at young ages. I was accepted to Syracuse University without a high school diploma after my junior year of high school as well as The Clarkson School. The aid package was better at Clarkson, however.

Not super-early, but he hadn't actually graduated from high school yet. He only contacted them to find out how he could take a class or two, and they suggested that he just enroll. He did forego financial aid, but not because of his age -- he was applying in July to start in August and had missed all the deadlines.

What really did it in his case I think was that he had a long track record of independent work. He contacted the university himself (our parents didn't do it for him), he had had a summer job in his field already, things like that. He had also just come back from a solo bicycle trip halfway across the country... the family story is that that was what got him in - that he could handle things on his own. Not that he's not bright too, he certainly is, but it was his initiative that actually got things going.

I started going to my local community college when I was 15. I still had a year till graduation, but the college allowed me to take classes that would be mandatory for my (eventual) major.

RE: prodigies

Well, they probably start taking high school level AP classes, applying to colleges early, sending along very well done research papers (in the field they're interested in), plus a video to go along with it. If your dd is serious about it, you might want to take a trip to some of the colleges that she would like to go to. Call ahead, and schedule a time when you can meet with the administrators/dean, and get a tour of the campus. That would be a good start...

The thing is, she is not interested in college per se, just in taking college courses on things that interest her. So no major, no career path chosen yet. And I don't think she is ready for AP courses or research papers.

For instance, she wants to take guitar but not to enroll in a music degree program.

Lakota

The thing is, she is not interested in college per se, just in taking college courses on things that interest her. So no major, no career path chosen yet. And I don't think she is ready for AP courses or research papers.

For instance, she wants to take guitar but not to enroll in a music degree program.

Lakota

It sounds like she might be better off with private lessons and tutors. They would cost less that most college tuition anyway. When your daughter is ready for college (or even upper highschool) level work, if you have community colleges in your area, many of them are very accomodating for gifted highschool age kids (my sisters and my best friend took dual credit classes in PS).

It is my understanding (not personal experience) that even without a diploma if you have the right SAT or ACT score and a good portfolio colleges can usually work something out with you. I believe that is how those super young kids get into college.

My son will enter college at 15 or 16; at 12, we're transcripting for 9th grade, as a 4-year transcript is required. (Pretty much any college, including Ivy League, will accept a homeschool diploma and transcript. Other requirements may need to be met, including an essay, test scores, a portfolio, and/or an interview. Each school has their own requirements - they should be outlined on their site and in their catalog.)

We've already spoken with the school he wants to attend; they will accept him as a distance student at 15 as long as he has the transcript and test scores; for the initial degree that he's looking at, he's looking at 2 years of distance (he'll have access to professors, but not have to be in class) and then a year of an internship program; after that year, he'll take the final two years of his BA on campus. He's then looking at grad programs following that.

There are many kids who can handle college programs at 15/16, maybe even earlier, but some may not be able to handle the social pressures of being in classes with 19-25yo's. Personally, I'd rather have my son ease into college rather than have to be the youngest one there, even though I have no doubt he'll be able to handle the work. That's just a choice that he's made, both through thought and prayer on his own and through discussing it with us.

To answer your questions though...the kids that get in super-early show an ability to handle college-level work at age 9-11. They take the same tests, write the same papers, and jump through even more hoops to prove they can make it on campus. Administration keeps a close eye on them, guiding them through their activities to make sure that they're emotionally ready to handle a college structure - and that they're getting both the help and the challenge they need. It's not something that colleges take lightly, but many are willing to take the kids that prove they can handle it.

Lakota

Well, easy-peasy then. She should be able to register for college classes as a high school student, without having to declare a major. The only reason why I took the classes that I did was because I was desperately trying to get out of school :tongue_smilie: But I also took fun classes. Most community colleges will take high school students, no problem. Just keep in mind that the classes are still for credit, and will affect her GPA when she does officially start college (so there's no room for messing around). Just make sure they are classes she's serious about, and willing to do the work for. You also might want to explain that the class load will be heavier than she is used to, if you haven't already.