Menu

How do i start reading with my KG

Guest manimanjariv

Guest manimanjariv

I am new in this thread and homeschooling too.Could you please help me with the curriculum. I wanted to know how do I start reading with my KG daughter. which book is good for her to start reading. Also let me know what are you doing in science and maths.

There are a number of very good phonics-based products to choose from.:-)

The simplest is EPS's Explode the Code. You might be able to find it locally in a teacher supply store.

ETC doesn't teach penmanship, so you'd want to find something simple for that. Zaner Bloser is quite good, and you might also be able to find it locally.

I have a KG this year. We are working on learning to read. I am using a program called Sing, Spell, Read and Write but I am not sure I would buy this again if I had the choice. I mean, it's fine, but expensive and I probably would have done something more simple like Explode the Code as mentioned. It does include handwriting though, so I don't have a separate program for that.

We are doing a co-op called Classical Conversations where we memorize science facts that I also expand on at home, and we do science experiments. I don't have a separate curriculum for that and I don't think you need one for KG. I'd just get some fun books from the library to explore nature (bugs, trees, stars, how do plants grow, etc).

For math we use Miquon which is an exploratory lab type math. We are still learning to recognize and write the numbers. I use simple dollar store workbooks for this. We play with Cuisenaire rods. We count lots of things, and are memorizing skip counting. That's it for math right now.

Keep KG fun and simple!

Some questions you might want to think on?

How much money do I plan on spending? Costs can run from paper and pencil to a complete K curriculum with everything in the box except you. Time can be used instead of money by using free resources from the free lists on these boards especially in the younger grades. How much can I use a library?

How much writing do I want to start with ( some K children can hold the pencil a long time some need smaller bites spaced out)? Some phonics, science, and math require more pencil holding than others. Many things can be done out loud.

The search feature on this forum is wonderful for looking at reviews of phonics, K math, k science.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/index.php has excellent descriptions and many samples to look at of many phonics, math and science.

The best advice I had starting out was to start slow, one subject the first week, two the next, three the third. I still do this after a long vacation, now that mine are 7,9, and 11, we start out 1/2 speed for a week before doing normal workload.

:grouphug:

• 3 weeks later...